Hello, friends! Today I’m sharing the Quilt Block of the Month October 2023 with this month’s block pattern in two sizes. I also have an additional pattern for you today for friendship star blocks that will be used as sashing cornerstones and in the pieced block border if you are making the quilt version using both large and small blocks. Keep reading for all of the details!
Quilt Block of the Month October 2023
October Block Details
This month we are making an Ohio Star block with half-square triangle accent corner blocks. I used two different greens for my center and accent corners with a red print for the quarter-square triangle units in my large block and reversed the colors for the small block option. I also used a tone-on-tone background for my small block and a low-volume print for the larger one.
This month I’m also sharing a pattern for a friendship star for sashing and an optional pieced border version if you are using my setting directions. I explain everything on the video, but here are the basics:
- Make (6) Friendship Stars at 1 ½″ finished if making a small block sampler.
- Make (6) Friendship Stars at 3″ finished if making a large block sampler.
- Make (6) Friendship Stars at 3″ finished AND (4) Friendship Stars at 6″ finished if making the sampler option with (12) large and (12) small blocks.
October Block Video + 2023 Sew Along Details
Watch this month’s block video above to get all of the details for the October block and some extra blocks you’ll be making this month for your finished quilt. Or you can watch the Block of the Month video on our YouTube channel.
- Get all of the details for this year’s Block of the Month sew along from this post.
- I’m sewing along with our new Favorite Things collection as shown in today’s blocks. But the pattern files will also share a Simply Delightful collection version that will be helpful for reference if you don’t want to use Christmas fabrics.
- Blocks will be shared on the first Monday of each month throughout the year 2023 with finishing instructions shared on Monday, December 11th, 2023.
- Get the January Block pattern here.
- Find the February Block pattern here.
- Get the March block post and pattern here.
- Find the April block post and pattern here.
- And get the May block post and pattern here.
- Find the June block of the month post and pattern here.
- And find the July block post and pattern here.
- See the August 2023 block post and pattern here.
- Find the September 2023 PDF pattern here
- And find the October 2023 Block pattern here or click the red button below.
- Find the previous year’s Block of the Month patterns in the shop.
Sneak Peek: Finished Quilt + Reminder for 2024
As a reminder, I will have some fun Block of the Month options in 2024. Once again, I will share free PDF patterns here on the blog on the first Monday of each month–just as I have been doing this year. Additionally, there will also be a paid version available. Get the block PDF patterns emailed to you directly with a one-time payment of $19.99. (You won’t need to visit the blog to download). You’ll also receive the finishing instruction pattern through direct email. As a bonus, you’ll also receive three additional free project PDF’s during the year. Sign up with the button below and you’ll receive a link to pay. (If you’ve already paid, you’ll be getting an email soon with your fabric requirements).
Additionally, I will have a second free Block of the Month program starting in the fall of 2024 that I’ll be doing with my daughter Chelsi. We will have 12 block designs each along with two free sampler options to share with you.
Be sure to stop by on Monday, November 6th for the next block in this quilt along. Happy quilting!