Hello, friends, and happy July! Today I’m sharing the Quilt Block of the Month July 2023. I also have information for you on an additional setting I’ve designed that utilizes the large and small blocks. This is the setting I’ll be using for my quilt. Keep reading for all of the details!
Quilt Block of the Month July 2023
July Block and Details
The July block is fast and fun! You will be making half-square triangles for the blocks but there are also several squares–so the block is fast and easy. I used four different backgrounds and four different medium prints for the large block version. For the small block version, I used just two different backgrounds and also used four medium prints.
Go here or click on the button below for the July Block of the Month PDF pattern.
Additional Setting Option Information
Before I started this year’s Block of the Month, I shared fabric requirements for blocks and a finishing for quilts with the 6″ finished blocks and a finishing with the 12″ finished blocks. But after I started sewing this year’s blocks, I realized I wanted to set my large blocks and small blocks into the same quilt. I finished designing the combination setting recently and have the fabric requirements for it listed below:
- My quilt will finish at 56 ½″ x 71 ½″. It would be really easy to add one additional border to make it a true bed-size quilt. (I would suggest 1 ½ yards of a medium/dark print if you are going to add an additional border 5-6″ in width).
- My setting will require four additional blocks for the outer border. I’ll have those ready to share by November (hopefully earlier). I’m using the grey floral pictured above for those blocks and will repeat that in the cornerstone blocks. You’ll need ¼-yard for these blocks. (This amount was included in the original PDF).
- I’m using the light print pictured above center along with my 6″ blocks in the outer border. You’ll need ⅞ yard of a light print for that.
- I’m using the red stripe from Favorite Things in my sashing and will also use it for my binding. The larger quilt will require ⅝-yard binding instead of ½ yard as shown in the original fabric requirements. Get one yard if you are using the same fabric for the contrast sashing and the binding.
July Block Video
Watch the July Block of the Month video above or go here to watch on our YouTube channel. See the blocks up close in the video. And hear a few thoughts on the additional setting option I’m providing.
2023 Sew Along Details
Below you’ll find all of the details for this year’s Block of the Month:
- Get all of the details for this year’s Block of the Month sew along from this post.
- I’m sewing along with our new Favorite Things collection as shown in today’s blocks. But the pattern files will also share a Simply Delightful collection version that will be helpful for reference if you don’t want to use Christmas fabrics.
- Blocks will be shared on the first Monday of each month throughout the year 2023 with finishing instructions shared on Monday, December 11th, 2023.
- Get the January Block pattern here.
- Find the February Block pattern here.
- Get the March block post and pattern here.
- Find the April block post and pattern here.
- And get the May block post and pattern here.
- Find the June block of the month post and pattern here.
Next Month’s Block
Be sure to stop by on Monday, August 7th for the next block in the series. Happy quilting!