Hello, friends! This post was originally published in July of 2018. But it has so many fun ideas that I’ve updated it and am re-publishing. Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the post for the recent updates. Enjoy!
Today I’m sharing my Best Scrap Quilt Ideas & Tips. Actually, I’ve also been wanting to put links to these posts in one place for easy reference! This post is a fun round-up of my best scrap quilt ideas. I’m sharing tips for collecting and storing scraps along with ideas for organized scrap quilts and a lot of scrappy quilt project ideas. I hope you’ll enjoy this!
Everyone seems to love a scrappy quilt! I love them so much that I try to design a lot of my patterns so they are just as suitable for using scraps as they are for picking up your favorite coordinated bundle of fabric. If you’re going to make a lot of scrap quilts and projects then you first need some ideas on collecting and storing your scraps! I have a couple of posts that will get you started on a scrappy path!
Ideas for Collecting & Storing Scraps
- My post on How to Sort & Organize Scraps has lots of fun tips and ideas. Read it here.
- I have a few more ideas on sorting and organizing scraps in this post from my Summer Organizing Series. Read it here.
- Since a lot of scraps come from other project left-overs, this post on Organizing and Storing Project Left-Overs also has some great ideas on this topic. Find it here!
My Patchwork Garden Quilt is a terrific scrappy project!
I love thinking of ideas for scrap quilts. These idea posts are meant to not only give you some scrap quilt ideas but also to get you thinking of other ways you can set about making a scrap quilt!
Getting Started: Scrap Quilt Ideas
- First, you’ll want to look at my Best Ideas for Scrap Quilts post–so many good ideas on this one. I was glad I re-read it when writing this post. Find it here.
- My Tips for Organized Scrap Quilts post also has some great ideas if you want scrappy but not too crazy! Find it here.
- You might also enjoy looking at some of my favorite books for scrap quilting. Find them here! (Oh, Scrap!: Fabulous Quilts That Make the Most of Your Stash wasn’t published yet when I wrote this post, but it’s also an amazing scrap quilt reference)! I wrote an entire post on it here.
My scrappy Splendid Sampler quilt was made using scraps from all of the Fig Tree fabrics I had at the time.
After you’ve decided on some ways to collect and store scraps and looked at the more general scrappy quilt ideas, you’ll want to start sewing something scrappy!
Best Scrap Quilt Ideas
- Strips are a terrific way to make scrap quilts. Read my Scrap Quilts from Strips post here.
- My String Quilt Block tutorial is a great way to use strips!
- Scrappy Log Cabins are made with squares…and more strips! Find my Scrappy Log Cabin Quilt Block tutorial here. And get the PDF for a Scrappy Log Cabin quilt using the Log Cabin Trim Tool here.
- If you have a lot of extra Layer Cake squares (or larger scraps you can cut into squares), you can use them to make a scrappy square in a square quilt. Find the tutorial here.
- Dresden Plate Blocks are a terrific way to use scraps! See my Dresden Plate tutorial here.
- Don’t forget about scrappy binding…Find my Scrappy Binding Tutorial here.
- And…one of the easiest way to make a scrap quilt or scrap project is to use your left over or “orphan blocks.” Find some great ideas for using orphan blocks on this post.
My scrappy Medallion quilt is one of my favorites–and it’s made all from my scraps! Find more pictures of it here.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this roundup of the best scrap quilt ideas! I’ll definitely be updating this post as I find more ideas to link to and as I write more on one of my favorite subjects! I’ve also included a Pinterest image below so that you can easily pin and come back to this page for reference. (You can also follow my Sew Scrappy board on Pinterest for more scrappy inspiration).
Some Recent Scrap Quilt Posts
- Here are 7 Tips for Fabulous Scrap Quilts (this post has a video to go along with it, too)
- And this post on How to Make a Scrap Quilt has lots of good tips.
- Finally, this Scrap Quilt Projects post has even more ideas for getting started on a scrap quilt you’ll love!