Hello, friends! Today I’m sharing some of my Best Quilt Ideas – Precut Friendly Quilt Tips and Patterns. I actually have just finished sewing two quilts for new patterns coming this summer. Both patterns were precut friendly, and I was so happy with how quickly they went together. This post will focus on the smaller precuts, and I’ll publish another post soon with ideas for Fat Quarter and Fat Eighth bundles.
Best Quilt Ideas – Precut Friendly
Layer Cake Quilt Patterns
Moda Layer Cakes contain (42) 10″ x 10″ squares of prints from one collection and are the precut option of choice for many quilters. Because they are economical and wider than every other precut (other than a fat quarter) they are extremely versatile. Below find my top three Layer Cake patterns and along with a couple of helpful posts for sewing with Layer Cakes.
- Hometown is a favorite Layer Cake pattern I recently updated to include two sizes. The smaller version is perfect for a Layer Cake and makes excellent use of both the darks and the lights in a collection. Find the Hometown pattern in paper and PDF here.
- Pot Luck is another of my favorite Layer Cake quilt patterns. This quilt is perfect for showcasing layer cake squares that are too cute to cut up. And the alternating chain blocks make great use of the remaining collection prints. Finally, there is an optional Dresden plate detail you can add to your quilt if desired. Find the Pot Luck pattern in paper and PDF here.
- Candy Boxes is a recent Layer Cake quilt shown pieced in our Favorite Things Christmas collection. But it would be beautiful in any collection! Find the Candy Boxes pattern in paper and PDF here.
- Find 10 Tips for Sewing with Layer Cakes here.
- And find a round-up with more favorite Layer Cake quilts here.
Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns
Jelly Rolls are 2 ½″ strips by the width of fabric (usually 41″-42″). Moda Jelly Rolls contain 40 of these strips which include at least one of every print from a collection. Find my three favorite Jelly Roll patterns below along with helpful posts for sewing with these strips.
- Season’s Greetings is a modified log cabin style Jelly Roll Quilt set on point. Find the pattern in paper and PDF here.
- Dreamin’ is a fast and fun strip-pieced quilt that is perfect for showcasing every print in a collection. Find the pattern in paper and PDF here.
- Patchwork Garden 2 uses strip piecing and a delightful setting for beautiful patchwork blocks from Jelly Rolls. Find the pattern in paper and PDF here.
- 10 Tips for Using Jelly Rolls
- Jelly Roll Quilt Patterns and Tips
Charm + Mini Charm Quilt Patterns
Moda Charm Packs contain 42 squares 5″ x 5″ while the Moda Mini Charm Packs have 42 squares 2 ½″ x 2 ½″. Charms and Mini Charms are perfect for small projects and for auditioning fabrics before you buy a larger precut. These precuts are also excellent for working on small projects like table toppers, table runners, bags, and more. So many of my ideas here are for small + quick-to-finish projects.
- Happy Spools is a fast and fun charm pack quilt. Find the pattern in paper and PDF here.
- Find a fun roundup of Simple Charm Pack Quilts and Projects here.
- And get 5 Tips for Quilting with Squares here.
- Find 15 Mini Charm Pack Projects here.
- And find the Moda Mini Charm bag free pattern + tutorial here.
- Finally, find my free tutorial and PDF pattern for a Moda Mini Charm project bag in two sizes here.
Honeybun Quilt Patterns
Moda Honeybuns contain 40 strips measuring 1 ½″ x width of fabric (41″ -42″). They make sewing with 11/2″ strips so much easier than it is when trying to cut that size strip yourself. Find my favorite Honeybun patterns and tips below:
- Weekender features a Honeybun and scraps or a mini charm pack for super simple blocks that make a stunning quilt. Find the Weekender pattern in paper and PDF here.
- I’m still working on a fun and scrappy Honeybun quilt using this free tutorial.
- And Hearts at Home 2 is another favorite Honeybun quilt pattern designed by my daughter Chelsi. Find the pattern in paper or PDF here.
- Finally, find Tips for Sewing with Honeybuns along with more project ideas here.
Thanks so much for stopping by for the Best Quilt Ideas – Precut Friendly Quilt Tips and Patterns post. Stay tuned for more ideas with fat eighths and fat quarters.