(Note this post was originally published in November 2017, but I’ve updated the links and added several more ideas).
Hello! Today I’m happy to share with you a fun round-up post of ideas for using mini charm packs and squares! Mini charms are squares of fabric that measure 2 ½″ x 2 ½″. I love, love, love using even the smallest bits of fabric, and each of these projects is definitely small-scrap worthy! Also, these projects are all doable in time for Christmas gift giving.
Mini Charm Pack Projects
Mini Charm Pack Helps
Sewing projects with mini charm squares is the perfect way to practice using fabrics in a collection to determine if you’ll want to make a larger project using the same fabrics. There are lots of mini charm squares to choose from. I try to purchase at least 2 mini charm packs when buying so that I have a wide enough variety of lights, mediums and darks for my project.
Make Your Own Mini Charms
I also make my own mini charm packs with left-overs from projects. It’s easy to cut project scraps into 2 ½″ x 2 ½″ squares as soon as you’re finished cutting out the project. I also keep a bin of left-over 2 ½″ squares which I plan to use one day for a really scrappy quilt! If you want to purchase mini charms from the most recent fabric collections you can find all of the latest mini charm packs here!
Mini Charm Pillow Projects
1. This mini charm patchwork pillow is one of my favorite recent projects…find all of the details including a link for the free tutorial here.
2. Another favorite mini charm patchwork pillow is one I shared a tutorial for a few years ago…It’s a favorite as well and is one pattern I’ve used over and over! Find the tutorial here.
3. One of my favorite mini charm pack pillows is this Christmas pillow I made a couple of years ago using Amy Sinibaldi’s fantastic tutorial. My girls love this pillow and have been asking for one ever since I made this one. I’ve also used this same pattern for everyday versions and other holiday versions. See my original post with a link to the PDF download for this project here!
Mini Charm Pack Bags
4. Little bags and baskets are also perfect projects to make with mini charms. My recent pretty patchwork bag uses just one mini charm pack for each bag. The free tutorial can be found here!
5. I also have a tutorial for a patchwork drawstring bag…it’s from a few years ago but is perfect for gift giving, especially with the holidays right around the corner! Find the tutorial and video for this project here.
6. Another really fun basket project is the original Pink Penguin patchwork basket tutorial. This might have been the first project I made using 2 ½″ x 2 ½″ squares. I’ve made this in lots of different fabric combinations over the years…the most recent being a fall version. Find the original tutorial here.
Mini Charm Pot Holders
7. Patchwork pot holders are a win-win! Make them in your favorite fabrics for everyday use, or use seasonal and holiday fabrics for gift-giving during your favorite seasons. Find the tutorial + video and downloadable PDF pattern here.
Mini Charm Quilts
8. This one I haven’t tried yet, but I’ve printed the PDF and have it sitting on my sewing table. What could be better than a quilt that mixes charm squares and mini charms…and in a variety of different size options. And… it’s designed by one of my favorite people! Find all of the details for this quilt here.
9. My Weekender Quilt is another terrific Mini Charm project. See it above and get all of the details about this quilt here.
10. And for another quilt idea…how about this scrappy 9-patch quilt! I made this when we introduced our Desert Bloom fabric collection…looking for a way to use up 2 ½″ x 2 ½″ squares from many of the projects. Find the tutorial for this quilt here.
Mini Charm Key Fob
11. Mini charm patchwork key fobs are one of my latest go-to gift ideas. Find my recent tutorial for this project here.
Mini Charm Table Toppers, Place Mats, and Runners
12. The next few ideas all have to do with table top decor! I recently made this fun mini charm table topper that I absolutely love. I’m getting ready to start a Christmas version of this one soon! Find the pattern for this topper here.
13. Place mats are one of my favorite projects, and this is the pattern I use over and over again. I have made this pattern using nearly every kind of fabric, and they always turn out great! Find the pattern information here.
14. One of my favorite table runner projects is also mini charm friendly! This is another one of those projects I’ve made over and over (in fact you can see four different versions of this on the original post page). Find the tutorial + video here.
More Mini Charm Ideas
15. And…for even more ideas…visit the Moda Bakeshop page under the category type: Mini Charms…lots more fun ideas here!