Hello, friends! Today I’m sharing Easy Quilt Patterns for Beginners along with some terrific resources for new quilters that I have here on the blog. I frequently receive emails from many who are new to this incredible world of quilting and want to provide a one-stop place where you can find information to help you on your journey.
Easy Quilt Patterns for Beginners
Resources for Beginners
Before I dive right in to sharing some quilt patterns, I want to make you aware of some very helpful resources I currently have for beginner quilters.
- This post with 25+ Essential Resources for quilters covers many of the topics of interest for a new quilter.
- I also have a short email series that delivers one post a day for about two weeks with helpful information on every aspect of the quilting process. You can sign up for the series here or join with the form below.
Easy Quilts with Squares
Quilts with squares are some of the easiest for beginner quilters. And if you use precut squares from Mini Charm packs, Charm Packs, or Layer Cakes, quilts go together especially well since the majority of the cutting is done for you. Here are some of my favorite easy quilts with squares:
- Four Square (a new version of this pattern with seven sizes is coming next month)!
- County Fair
- Scrappy Nine-Patch (free tutorial with option to purchase a downloadable PDF)
- Candy Boxes
- Fresh Picked (find help for the easy corner triangles on these squares here)
Easy Quilts with Strips
Strip-pieced projects are also terrific for beginners. Just make sure you are sewing an accurate ¼″ seam, and you are good to go with these fun and easy strip quilt patterns:
- Beachfront (combines squares and easy strip piecing)
- Pathways (also combines squares, strips, and half-square triangles)
- Pot Luck (use plain squares in place of the Dresden blocks to make this beginner friendly)
Easy Star Quilts
These star quilts are also good confident beginner projects. Once you master making half-square triangles and flying geese unit, you can easily make a variety of star quilts. Find my best tips for half-square triangles and flying geese and then several of my favorite Easy Star Quilts:
- Tips for half-square triangles
- Tips for Flying Geese with the Ultimate Flying Geese Tool
- Tips for Flying Geese with Bloc Loc Rulers
- Bucket List
- Garden Stars Sampler (for the confident beginner)
I hope you’ve enjoyed this round-up of easy quilt patterns along with some favorite resources for beginner quilters.