Hello friends. I hope you are well and taking good care of yourself during this trying time. It’s definitely been a blessing that the Block Heads 3 quilt along is a ray of sunshine each week. This week I’m sharing Moda Block Heads 3 Block 12. This week’s block is a gorgeous block brought to us by Janet Clare. Read for my tips and tricks and to see the video I created for this week’s block.
Moda Block Heads 3 Block 12
This week’s block is called “Hampshire Star” and is brought to us by the lovely Janet Clare. I have so loved getting to know Janet at Quilt Market over the years. She is so absolutely lovely, and I always learn a little bit about British culture from her at each market.
Block 12 Fabrics
- Ice Garden Song (my center square and contrast)
- Sprout Daisy Dot (all of the green prints in my block)
- Ivory and Charcoal Check (grey print)
- Background is the Summer Sweet Ivory Tonal Daisy Dot
Block 12 Tips & Tricks
Janet’s block is comprised of squares and half-square triangles. I combined some of the squares into rectangles and also used the easy corner method to cut down on the number of half-square triangles I needed to make. I also used triangle paper to ensure the half-square triangles I did make were the correct size. You’ll need to download Janet’s pattern first in order to use my tips below. Here are some of the specifics (I made the 8″ finished block):
- Instead of (16) A squares, I used (8) rectangles cut 1 ½″ x 2 ½″. (For the 6″ block use (8) rectangles 1 ¼″ x 2″, and for the 12″ block use (8) rectangles 2″ x 3 ½″.
- Use this triangle paper for the half-square triangles in the 8″ block. Use this triangle paper for the 6″ blocks and this triangle paper for the 12″ block.
- I used this ruler in order to easily make easy corner triangle squares. Use the measurement for the A squares for your block size for the corner units. You’ll also need (5) squares 2″ x 2″ for the 6″ block, 2 ½″ x 2 ½″ for the 8″ block, and 3 ½″ x 3 ½″ for the 12″ block. You’ll need to check the pattern for color.
- I also filmed a video to show exactly the changes I made. You can watch it below or on YouTube here.
Watch the Block 12 Video Above
Block 12 Links
- Go here or click the button below for this week’s block PDF by Janet Clare.
- Share your blocks in the Moda Block Heads Facebook Group here.
- Visit the Moda Block Heads 3 Archive page here to find links to previous patterns.
- Find all of my previous Moda Block Heads 3 posts here.
Moda Block Heads 3 Designers
Be sure to visit all of the Moda Block Heads 3 Designers to see their tips and tricks and to find out what they’re working on!
- Corey Yoder of Coriander Quilts
- Sherri McConnell of A Quilting Life (you’re here!)
- Betsy Chutchian
- Jan Patek of Jan Patek Quilts
- Brigitte Heitland of Zen Chic
- Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings
- Lissa Alexander
- Laurie Simpson of Minick & Simpson
- Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique
- Stacey Iest Hsu
- Robin Pickens
- Janet Clare
- Jen Kingwell
- Joanna Figueroa of Fig Tree & Company
Something Fun This Week
On Saturday I listed the Balboa Project Package Pre-Orders…there are just a few remaining here.
I hope you enjoyed this week’s post on Moda Block Heads 3 Block 12. Thanks so much for stopping by!