Hello and happy Tuesday! Welcome to week two in the Merry Mini Christmas Sew Along! Fat Quarter Shop is offering the free patterns for this sew along and has also created video tutorials for each block. This week the pattern for block two is available, and it’s a cute snowflake block!
This week’s snowflake block is a simple one. There are just four half-square triangles to make, and the rest of the sewing is made up of sewing squares and rectangles together. Once again I used fabrics from our Harper’s Garden collection. I do think the navy and the light blue give the block a “wintery snowflake feel.”
Tips for Making the Snowflake Quilt Block
- Choose three fabrics for your block that have plenty of contrast (I especially didn’t want the two blues to be too similar).
- If you want to make sure the half-square triangles are sized perfectly, size them up just a bit (I cut the squares for the hst’s at 3 ¼″ and then trimmed them to size using this method).
Where to Find the Block Pattern Downloads
- Find last week’s poinsettia block pattern download on this post.
- And visit Chelsi Stratton’s blog here to download this week’s pattern.
- Next week’s block will be available from Bev at Flamingo Toes.
- And block 4 will be available on July 23rd from Pat Sloan.
- If you’re quilting along, be sure to use the hashtags #merryminiquilt #merryminimysteryquilt, #christmasinjuly, and #fqsquiltalong.
- Finally, if you’re just finding out about this fun sew along, you can find even more information here.
- And if you need fabrics for this mini…head here.
I finished up the remaining blocks and my quilt top over the weekend, and really like how it turned out. The pattern is a fun one! Next week’s block might be my favorite…can’t wait for you to see it!
Finally…congratulations to Dorothy Paulk who won the Layer Cake from the giveaway last week! I’ve emailed her already. Happy quilting, and thanks so much for stopping by!