NOTE: This post has been edited. See below for more explanation.
Hello friends, and happy Wednesday! And happy Block Heads day. Today I’m sharing the Block Heads 3 Block 33 + Curved Piecing Tutorial to make this week’s block step-by-step. I absolutely love this block, and hope you won’t be intimidated by it. The pattern is exceptional, and if you take it step by step it actually goes together quickly and easily.
Moda Block Heads 3 Block 33
NOTE: This post has been edited because the Block 33 pictured above is no longer available as a pattern. You can read the details about what happened here.
I used a variety of our fabrics from our Happy Days, Balboa, and Summer Sweet collections. It was fun to mix a bit of this and that from all three collections. I’m really glad I used the low-volume print for the center and corner areas of the block. I feel like it added just the right amount of contrast without being too plain or too busy. Also, you might notice I used primarily small and medium sized prints for the other sections of the block.
Curved Piecing Tutorial Video
I filmed a step-by-step video tutorial to go along with this week’s block; however, I removed it because of the issues as explained above. I will film another curved piecing tutorial as soon as possible and let you know when that is available.
Block Heads 3 Block 33 Links
- Get today’s pattern here, or click the button below. (Note: patterns may not be available until 8 a.m. CST).
- Visit the Moda Block Heads 3 Resource Page for links to all of the previous patterns and details on fabric requirements and block settings.
- Join the Moda Block Heads 3 Facebook group here.
- And find all of my previous Moda Block Heads 3 posts here.
Block 33 Tips and Tools
- As I shared in the video, I listed the fabric colors I was going to use on the individual template pieces. This helped a lot.
- It is really important to have a sharp rotary blade when trimming curves. Many quilters also prefer using a smaller rotary cutter when working with trimming small areas.
- My rotating cutting mat (also here) was a big help when trimming as well.
Moda Block Heads 3 Designers
Be sure to stop by and see what the other Moda Block Heads 3 Designers are up to this week!
- Corey Yoder of Coriander Quilts
- Sherri McConnell of A Quilting Life (you’re here!)
- Betsy Chutchian
- Jan Patek of Jan Patek Quilts
- Brigitte Heitland of Zen Chic
- Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings
- Lissa Alexander
- Laurie Simpson of Minick & Simpson
- Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique
- Stacey Iest Hsu
- Robin Pickens
- Janet Clare
- Jen Kingwell
- Joanna Figueroa of Fig Tree & Company
Thanks for Stopping By!
Thanks so much for stopping by for the Block Heads 3 Block 33 + Curved Piecing Tutorial. Happy quilting!
Jackie Lohrey says
Oh Sherri, when it comes to this week’s block part of me is a big chicken and wants to avoid it like the plague. Another part of me says if it doesn’t kill me it will make me stronger. I decided to put on my big girl pants and try it. BUT just in case I’m using the ugliest fabric in my stash. 🙂 As a reward I then get to make the alternate block. Compromise is a wonderful thing . 🙂 Getting really close to Balboa release…I am excited! Have a great day!
Pamela Reim says
LOVE this block. I may need a glass of wine to steel myself to make it though!
Jackie Lohrey says
You can DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wine, Mikes hard lemonade, it’s all good 🙂
Rosemary B says
These blocks are button cute. You made the cutest ones Sherri
Phyllis Arechuk says
I can not get the PDF for this weeks block. The offer of a free pattern keeps popping up.
Thank you Sherrie for putting in your pumpkin & leave quilt (FALL DASH QUILT) now I can look it up. Its all your falt & a few others that I sort of got into quilting (HAPPY PLACE) I love you & your daughters fab & the way you put the color choices together . I wrote what I needed down & have it in my new AP&QUILTING mag of course saved on the new STAR STRUCK pattern that I love also. My first quilt was a rag quilt I have on my bed it’s so snuggly. My second real true quilt is actually being quilted right now w a 5 wk wait. It is for my daughter & she is very excited. I down loaded that free snow flake one so that is next for me. I just need the back ground fab. Thank you again. And keep doing what you are doing.
I can’t get the PDF to load either.
sherri McConnell says
Unfortunately, the pattern is no longer available. I’ve updated the post with a link to the explanation from the block designer.
It seems to me that the PDF has been taken down from the page linked above. Do you know where I can get the pattern?
sherri McConnell says
Unfortunately, the pattern is no longer available. I’ve updated my post with a link to the explanation from the block designer.