Hello and happy Block Heads Wednesday! Today I’m sharing Moda Block Heads 2 Block 42 by Carrie Nelson. This week’s block is called “Around the Corner,” and it’s another 12″ finished block that gives lots of room for playing with different colors and fabrics!
So fun to take my weekly photo…although I’m about to start sewing these together and will then be able to share photos of different sections of the quilt. I can hardly wait!
I used six different fabrics in this week’s block–it’s a mix of our Clover Hollow and Walkabout fabric collections. I just love the way these two collections play together. So if you have Clover Hollow scraps…be sure to save them since Walkabout will be shipping soon.
Here are all nine of the 12″ finished blocks for this quilt. I truly enjoy taking these photos each week. It’s really helped me to keep my fabrics and colors balanced out throughout the process.
Tips for Moda Block Heads 2 Block 42
- First, make sure you cut the pieces for the block accurately. Because so many of the units are multi-step units, this will be very important.
- Also make sure that squares cut in half once or twice diagonally are cut accurately. This can end up making a big difference as well.
- It’s important to press without pushing or distorting the pieces, especially since so many of these pieces are on the bias.
- I made sure the four outside center units were trimmed to the exact size before adding them to my block.
- Finally, use a scant ¼″ seam allowance when sewing. A scant ¼″ is just a thread or two under a true ¼″. You can see a demonstration of this in my video below.
Moda Block Heads 2 Block 42 Links
- Go here to download this week’s block by Carrie Nelson of Miss Rosie’s Quilt Company.
- Visit the Moda Landing Page for Block Heads 2 where you’ll find all of the details including pattern links.
- Go here to visit the Moda Block Heads Facebook Group.
- And see all of my previous Moda Block Heads 2 posts here.
Find the Other Moda Block Heads 2 Designers Here
- Lynne Hagmeir of Kansas Troubles
- Barbara Groves of Me & My Sister Designs
- Carrie Nelson of Moda Fabrics
- Brigitte Heitland of Zen Chich
- Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique
- Betsy Chutchian
- Stacey Iest Hsu
- Jan Patek
- Laurie Simpson of Minick & Simpson
- Jo Morton
- Sherri McConnell of A Quilting Life (you are here)
- Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings
- Corey Yoder of Coriander Quilts
Thank you so much for stopping by and happy quilting!
Your block is gorgeous! I appreciate your tips tiday and each week. I just enjoy reading all of your blog posts. Hapoy Blockheads Wednesday!
Love the 12 inch blocks
Sherri, you are outstanding! Love the blocks and your notes. I am jumping in!
I just went looking for the pattern for Block 42 and it isn’t with the rest on the Moda page. It skips #42. How can I find this?