Hello and happy Wednesday…and happy Block Heads day! Thanks so much for all of the positive feedback on the first of my new quilt patterns yesterday! I’ll be sharing quilt number two soon! But first today I need to share Moda Block Heads 2 Block 13 by Corey Yoder! This is such a fun block! It’s the first one I was able to piece with our new Walkabout fabrics, and I love how it turned out! Of course I’ll soon be mixing Walkabout with our other collections for future blocks!
This week’s block is the cutest flower and stem with leaves! I used five different prints from our upcoming Walkabout collection: the tone on tone floral background, the small green floral, the medium coral floral, the red dot print, and the large floral on taupe! So much fun! (See all of the new Walkabout fabrics here). The new taupe colors blend in beautifully with the taupe prints I’ve been using for these blocks from our Valley group.
I love this block! I think three of these blocks would make a really fun pillow with thin sashing between each block and a small border all around–I might have to think about making one soon!
Tips for This Week’s Block Construction:
- There are some pretty small pieces in this week’s block. So you might want to starch your fabrics before cutting them out. I used this ruler to make all of the flip and sew corner pieces in the block. It saves a lot of time and is very accurate.
- You might also find this post on accurate piecing for mini quilts helpful.
- I have a tutorial for using the ruler I mentioned you can find here. Find the video tutorial for the ruler on this post.
Moda Block Heads 2 Block 13 Links:
- Find the pattern for Corey Yoder’s block 13 here.
- And find the Moda Block Heads 2 Archives page here.
- Join the Moda Facebook page for the Block Heads group here.
And Find the Other Moda Block Heads Here:
- Lynne Hagmeir of Kansas Troubles
- Barbara Groves of Me & My Sister Designs
- Carrie Nelson of Moda Fabrics
- Brigitte Heitland of Zen Chic
- Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique
- Betsy Chutchian
- Stacy Iest Hsu
- Jan Patek
- Laurie Simpson of Minick & Simpson
- Jo Morton
- Sherri McConnell of A Quilting Life (you are here)
- Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings
- Corey Yoder of Coriander Quilts
As I mentioned earlier in this post, I’ll be stopping back in soon to share quilt number two from our Walkabout collection (if you missed the first new quilt, Sea Glass, you can find out all about it here). Happy quilting the Moda Block Heads 2 Block 13, and thanks so much for stopping by!
I had forgot that you had made that ruler tutorial, Sherri. I watched it again and I’ll use it to make Maple Sky…SOON!!! Its the perfect fall quilt to make. Do you know how many rulers that I have bought over the past 10 years that I haven’t used or learned? If the pattern I’m making doesn’t have specific instructions for the ruler, I don’t use it usually because of the extra brain power and figuring that goes along with it! I bought Doug’s ruler when it was fresh, but I still haven’t used it. I am going to learn how to use this one! I took a look at your new patterns yesterday and I’m loving Pathways…except I took advantage of your sale on the weekend and I bought two more patterns!! I need more sewing and less buying!!! Thanks Sherri.
Love your flower block and I thought too what a cute block it would be for a pillow!
Becky Haaland says
Absolutely love the block and love your fabrics!