I'm determined to have my Christmas version Farmer's Wife quilt set together before school starts. So my goal yesterday was to get half-way finished.
I completed sashing all of the blocks that will be placed in a straight setting. The blocks will all need to be 9" unfinished, so I sewed 2" x 6 1/2" strips to two sides of each block and added 2" x 9 1/2" strips to the other two sides. I then trimmed the blocks to measure 9" square.
This is a terrific method to use if all of your blocks don't measure at exactly 6 1/2" since you'll be trimming anyway. I'm really happy with how the blocks are looking...even the "busiest" blocks don't seem to bother me anymore now that there is extra white space.
Now I just need to sash my blocks that will be set on point. I cut two 5 1/2" x 5 1/2" squares per block, cutting each square once on the diagonal. I will use the triangles to set these blocks, again trimming to 9". I even have the triangles cut and ready to sew, so hopefully I can finish this up soon!
Thanks so much for stopping by!