Hello, and welcome to part 3 of the Stitch Pink Together quilt along. We’re making just the five Strip Pieced + Simple Heart Blocks today, so you’ll also have time to catch up on any additional alternate blocks you might not have finished from last time.
Stitch Pink Quilt Along Part 3
Today I’m sharing the instructions for the darling Strip-Pieced + Simple Heart Blocks. We’ll be moving on to the sashing and 9-patch posts next time. I won’t be sharing the tutorial videos here on the blog, but you can find them on our YouTube channel here. For each video, though, I will share a blog post will a summary of the most important things mentioned along with links as needed.
Helpful Tools and Tips
Be sure to watch the video for all of my tips for block pressing and tools that can help make your sewing quicker and more accurate. Below is a list of tools I suggest in today’s video. These tools are helpful not only for today’s blocks but will also help as you continue making the quilt:
- Mini Simple Folded Corners Ruler
- Olfa 1 ¼” x 12 ½” Ruler (Note…it’s called the 1 x 12 but measures at 1 ¼″ x 12″)
- Creative Grids 4 ½” x 8 ½” Ruler
- Remember that you will need the Together Quilt Pattern to make this quilt (QLD210)
- Note that if you’re using the Sincerely Yours fabrics some are directional and you’ll need to pay attention to the direction of the fabrics when cutting the pieces.
- Watch the video for pressing tips so that your seams will nest as much as possible.
- Tag your photos with the hashtag #StitchPink2021
Strip-Pieced + Simple Heart Blocks
Cutting instructions for this week’s blocks are found on page two with the assembly instructions found on pages 7-8. You will be making five blocks of this style.
Extra Tips for Making the Strip-Pieced + Simple Heart Blocks
- Watch today’s video for pressing tips so that the seams nest.
- The strip-pieced sections for today’s blocks are over-sized and then trimmed to ensure accuracy.
- Also note that the strip-pieced sections for each block are mirror images.
- Because of the design of this block, you can also make it extra scrappy by using more fabrics for each strip pieced heart—have fun and use 8 different fabrics per heart if you’d like!
Our Next Post + Video
Thanks so much for sewing along with the Stitch Pink Quilt Along Part 3. We’ll see you back on Wednesday this week as we begin making the sashing and 9-patch post sections with a new Stitch Pink Together Sew Along Video. Remember that you can find all of the previous posts in this series here.
This is AWESOME ?! Thank you so much for sharing !!!! Love it ?
Cindy Bettine says
I’m making the 2021 A Quilting Life Block of the Month and I know the last block comes out of the first Thursday of the month in December. I am making my quilt as a Christmas Gift and I was wondering if we could get the lay out soon so that we can prepare it to get it to the quilter as soon as the last block is out? It’s really going to be a time crunch to get it done & quilted.
sherri McConnell says
I’ll share finishing with the December block on December 2nd. Thank you!
julie e kaplan says
Good Morning Sherri……Since I just received the Happy Days fat quarter bundle, I am wondering if there is a block of the month project using it. I found the wall hanging, but I didn’t know if there was a full-sized quilt BOM. Also when do you think we will begin the BOM using your Seashore Drive collection?
Thank you, Sherri. I will look forward to your reply.
sherri McConnell says
My 2021 BOM uses Happy Days…and you can get all of the free patterns on my blog through the end of the year. The 2022 BOM with Seashore Drive will begin in January.