Hello, everyone, and welcome to the very first pattern release day for the Quilting Life Quilt Block of the Month January 2022 blocks. I’m super excited about this year’s quilt pattern and hope you’ll love it too! Each block will have an outer Churn Dash border with a pieced block nested inside. (My churn dash borders will be in the same color family but will utilize different fabrics). For the center block, I’m beginning with a favorite–a Sawtooth Star. Each month’s blocks will be equally as cute (I think)! I hope you’re joining in!
Quilting Life Block of the Month January 2022
Quilt Along Details
- This year’s quilt is a sampler with 12 different unique pieced blocks. There is no applique’ or paper piecing required. Once again, I will be sharing block patterns in two sizes: 12″ finished and 6″ finished.
- Patterns release monthly on the first Thursday of the month here on the blog.
- Each month, a step-by-step video tutorial sharing how to make that month’s block will be featured. Watch the video here on the blog or on the YouTube channel here.
- If you are looking for patterns from 2021, they are now in my shop with other previous year patterns here.
- The 2021 blocks are now available as a full file in my shop for purchase here.
- Get the 2022 Block of the Month Fabric Requirements here.
- And find all of the previous posts in the Quilt Block of the Month series here.
January 2022 Block Video
Watch this month’s block video above or go here to watch it on our YouTube channel. In the monthly videos I share tips and tricks for making the monthly blocks. And I also share the specialty tools I used (if any).
January 2022 Block Details
- I’m making my 12″ finished blocks with our Seashore Drive fabric collection. The collection will be shipping sometime in the next month or so. For background I’m using a combination of the tone on tone that came with the collection and this Bella solid.
- I’m primarily using the Minick & Simpson Bell Isle collection for my 6″ blocks. I’m also adding in bits and pieces of some of their earlier collections with these blocks. And I’m using the tone on tone floral from our Walkabout collection for my background for these blocks. Moda Bella Ivory works great as a background with the Minick & Simpson fabrics.
- You can use half square triangle paper for the block Half Square Triangles. This size works for the 12″ blocks. And this size works for the 6″ blocks.
- Use this Bloc Loc Flying Geese Ruler for the 12″ blocks.
- And use this Bloc Loc Flying Geese Ruler for the 6″ blocks.
January 2022 Block Pattern PDF
Go here to download the A Quilting Life Mystery Block of the Month January 2022 pattern. Or click the button below:
January 2022 Calendar + Extra Kit Spots
Just a few more things…if you haven’t already downloaded your January 2022 A Quilting Life calendar page, you can find it here.
Also, I have a few extra spots for kits for the 12″ Seashore Drive blocks. Please email if you’re interested.
Thanks so much for stopping by to read today’s Quilt Block of the Month January 2022 post. It’s going to be a fun year sewing along with this project.
Excited to start another block of the month. Your instructions are always so clear and easy to follow!
Allison McCullough says
I am so excited about starting this block of the month with you… this is my first. I am so excited to begin, thank you Sherri!
Debbie Hays says
I am so excited to be joining you for your 2022 Block of the Month sew along. This is my very first sew along to participate in. I am also joining you on your planner tutorials. I have so much to learn but being a “list maker” and a planner girl to begin with, this will help me to organize myself in my craft room as well. Thank you for your inspiration and for spending time teaching and encouraging us along our quilting and organizational journey.
I’m excited to do the block of the month. Now I need to decide on the color combination. Looking forward to all of your suggestions.
Thank you for a pattern for 2022. This will be the first time I have sewed along with your mystery quilt. I think I’ll be making the 6” blocks with the same fabric as you are. Now off to order it so I can get started!
Do you have the fabric requirements in a PDF format?
Roxy Seh says
Thank you Sherri, i love this first block, churn dash is one of my favorite blocks. I am excited to sew along with you through-out the year. I know i am going to love this one. I just finished quilting last years BOM quilt. I love it, it is very colorful! Love your videos. Thank you for doing this BOM for us . I appreciate you!
Gloria G says
This looks to be a lot of fun! What will be the finished size of the quilts?
Stephanie Z Hironimus says
Sherri, The churn dash is one of my favorite blocks, so I’m super excited to sew along with you!
Isobel Carr says
Do we have a hashtag that we’re using on Twitter and Instagram? My fabric just arrived and I can’t wait to get started!
sherri McConnell says
Thanks for the reminder!
Very excited for the 2022 BOM. I really enjoyed last years. Thank you for doing this each year Sherri ???
Lisa Cobb says
I’m excited to join you this year! I plan to make 6 and 12 inch blocks…
Annette Ackley says
First time doing block of the month with you. Not sure what size to make, maybe both. Love your podcasts !! Been flowing for over a year. Your quilts are beautiful!!
Kelly Kunzman says
Sherri – Very excited to start your block of the month! I have three different fat quarter bundles I am thinking about using. I have one more year of teaching before I can retire early so the BOM is perfect for me as I don’t always have time to do everything at once! Thanks for all the tips you share!
Would you please post the finished sizes of each of this year’s BOM. THANK YOU
I am not sure which block size to choose. Having the finished size I’d each quilt would be helpful.
Liz Mayville says
I can’t wait to begin! I love using triangles on a roll and the flying geese papers. Is it possible to get a heads up on what size papers we will need? Thank you so much for all you do!
Sharon Starr says
Do you have any more seashore drive kits for the 2022 QAL left? I would like to buy one.
Debbie Brugman says
Awesome! The Churn Dash is one of my favorites. And I love that it will border each of the blocks. Sherri could you make the 2022 Mystery QAL fabric requirements a PDF please? I create files for each QAL that I’m doing to keep me organized. Thank you.
Janet Pemberton says
Please let us know in the instructions which fabrics you are using such as background, fat quarters, contrast to cut.. I was only guessing from the pic. Video did say you were using your grays for the churn dashers. (Your contrast). I assume with the background fabric. Thanks.
Shari Arnold says
Sherri, do I need to sign up somewhere. This is so exciting. Thank you
Diane M Floyd says
I am looking forward to this year’s block of the month. I did the 2021 blocks and enjoyed each one. Directions are so clear and easy to follow. Thanks for sponsoring this for us!
Stephanie Z Hironimus says
Hi Sherri. I want to participate in your sew-along and possibly kill two birds with one stone… by maybe using just red and cream so it can he part of Lisa Bongean’s red & white quilt collection. I know anything is possible, but I’m nervous about making this a 2 color quilt… any thoughts?
You are amazing! I have currently made 5 sewing kits (1 for me, 4 for friends:-)) by watching your video. They are so fun – thank you!
Patty S. says
Love this 2022 BOM with the Churn Dash frame, so cute! Can you tell us what the finished size is for both 12″ blocks and 6″ blocks? Trying to decide what size I’d like to make, and how much backing fabric to buy.