Hello, friends! I’m super excited to share Moda Blockheads 4 Block 22 with you today. Today’s Star Patch block is my own contribution for the sew along. I’ve got the direct pattern link here on the blog with tips, tricks, and a few more fun things to share with you today.
Moda Blockheads 4 Block 22
Block 22 Pattern Link + Tips
I do love Ohio Star blocks. And I especially love them with this shading so that there is a contrast square in a square fabric (the grey above). I also thought it would be fun to combine this classic block with another of my favorites–the nine-patch center. Finally, I love contrasting corners in blocks–they allow for so many fun secondary patterns in quilts. Here is everything you need for this week’s block:
- First, go here, or click the button below for the free pattern PDF.
- I used strip piecing for the 9-patch centers. Cut 1 ½″ x 4 ½″ strips for the large block and 1 ½″ x 2 ½″ strips for the small blocks to give you leeway when cutting.
- Cut the B, C, and D squares at 4 ½″ x 4 ½″ so that you can trim those quarter square triangle units down to the perfect size. This makes it so much easier!
- Finally, use the Simple Mini Folded Corners Ruler for adding the G squares to the A squares.
Moda Blockheads 4 Sew Along Information
- Read the Moda Blockheads 4 Introductory post here.
- Get the Moda Blockheads 4 Basic Methods Resources Sheet PDF here.
- Find all of the previous Moda Blockheads 4 block information in the Blockheads 4 Archive here.
- Join the Moda Blockheads Facebook group. In the group you can share your blocks and get inspired by the other Blockheads participants.
- And find all of my previous Moda Blockheads 4 posts here.
A New Pattern + Free Log Cabin Block Pattern + YouTube
I have a new pattern in the shop for my Love Letters quilt (pictured above in our Sincerely Yours fabrics). This fun lap quilt was originally published in American Patchwork & Quilting and is now available in my shop in PDF and paper. Find the Love Letters pattern here. You might also be interested in the free 18″ Log Cabin block pattern I shared on this post. Finally, if you’re not already following us on our YouTube channel, you can find the A Quilting Life YouTube channel here.
Jan B says
Love your block. However, you posted the wrong picture on your Facebook post & people are confused. Thought you should know.
sherri McConnell says
Thanks! I went in and added an updated photo 🙂
Sarah at An Heirloom in the Making says
It’s not a “wrong” picture; it’s just how Facebook shows “preview” pictures for links. If people would just click the link/post and come to your blog, all would be clear 🙂 Thank you for taking the time to contribute to the BH4 QAL, Sherri!! I’m doing your BOM and barely have time to remember to do it a week later. How do you find time to run a QAL and contribute to one! Amazing generosity. Thank you.
Joyce Carter says
Thanks Sherri. Star blocks are my favorite.
Kristi Castanette says
This is a beautiful block! I am in the process of sewing a Christmas quilt and this block will be perfect addition to my other star blocks.
Thanks for a great design.
Please tell me what fabric you are using for your Blockhead 4 quilt. I bought Seashore Drive and your blocks sure do not look like Seashore Drive. I’d like to follow your squares but must reorder the fabric
My thanks, Pat
sherri McConnell says
I’m using our Emma collection which will be in stores in September/October.
JoAnna Hunsucker says
Love this block, however shouldn’t the instructions read #4 square G(per image) be attached to A? Glad I am a seasoned quilter!