Hello and happy Wednesday! Today is Block Heads day, and I’m sharing Moda Block Heads 3 Block 9 by my friend Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique! I have some other fun things to share today as well (including a new pattern in the shop and a new YouTube video), so be sure to read to the end of the post .
Moda Block Heads 3 Block 9
This week’s block is called Taos and was designed by Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique. It’s a fun mix of squares and half-square triangles. Vanessa’s block center is made up of 16 small squares, but I made two four-patches and used two solid squares instead.
Block 9 Fabrics
This week I again used just two prints and the tone on tone background from our Summer Sweet collection. Find the exact prints below:
- Tonal Ivory Daisy Dot (background)
- Petal Garden Song (coral)
- Charcoal Check
Block 9 Tips & Tricks
- This week’s block is simple and fun, but since there are several half-square triangles, it gives me a chance to point out how helpful Half Square Triangle Paper is for this block. In fact, I made a short video where I talk about this. You can watch below or click here to watch on YouTube (my first video in my new sewing room!).
- Use two colors and a background, or make lots of different scrappy half-square triangles.
See my new Half Square Triangle Paper Video above…or go here to watch it on YouTube
Block 9 Links
- Go here or click the button below to get this week’s block pattern PDF from Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique
- Visit the Moda Block Heads 3 Facebook Group here.
- And find all of my previous Block Heads 3 posts here.
Moda Block Heads 3 Designers
Be sure to visit all of the other Moda Block Heads 3 Designers this week to see what they’re up to!
- Corey Yoder of Coriander Quilts
- Sherri McConnell of A Quilting Life (you’re here!)
- Betsy Chutchian
- Jan Patek of Jan Patek Quilts
- Brigitte Heitland of Zen Chic
- Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings
- Lissa Alexander
- Laurie Simpson of Minick & Simpson
- Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique
- Stacey Iest Hsu
- Robin Pickens
- Janet Clare
- Jen Kingwell
- Joanna Figueroa of Fig Tree & Company
Something Fun this Week
On Monday I was able to share just a bit about our upcoming fabric collection, Balboa! If you missed the announcement be sure to read the post here and watch for more Balboa posts coming soon!
And…I also have a new pattern in the shop in paper and PDF! I’ll be doing a blog post on it soon, but wanted to give you a little advance notice today 🙂
Happy quilting, and thanks so much for stopping by!
Candice LeCody says
I am loving your blocks in Summer Sweet. Wondering what your layout will be as I haven’t seen any that are for 8″ blocks.