Hello and happy Wednesday! Today is Moda Block Heads 3 Block 3 day! And today Betsy Chutchian is sharing her Crown and Star quilt block in three finished sizes: 6″, 8″, and 12″. Betsy’s block is a fun one to make, and there are lots of ways to play with your fabrics for fun designs.
Moda Block Heads 3 Block 3
I decided to use five different Summer Sweet fabrics for my block along with the Summer Sweet Daisy Dot tone on tone for my background. Links to each of the fabrics I used are below:
- Tonal Ivory Daisy Dot Background Fabric
- Summer Sweet Ice Garden Song (center fabric)
- Sprout Daisy Dot (green)
- Summer Sweet Sunshine Bouquet (yellow)
- Apricot Chamomile (orange)
- Geranium Flora (red)
Block 3 Tips and Tricks
- Once again, using triangle paper is a great method for making the hst’s for this week’s block (especially if you are making the 6″ or 8″ size). Find triangle paper here for the 6″ finished block. Get it here for the 8″ finished block. And find it here for the 12″ finished block. Also, you can get a master set of the Triangles on a Roll triangle paper in 8 sizes here. And finally, there is an economical Primitive Gatherings set of the smaller sizes half-square triangle paper here.
- You may also want to use starch on this week’s block. The half-square triangles and flying geese units are especially small on the 6″ and 8″ finished blocks.
- Finally, I always recommend Bloc Loc rulers for the flying geese sections. Find the Bloc Loc rulers here (they are sold in finished sizes).
Moda Block Heads 3 Block 3 Links
- Go to Betsy’s Blog for this week’s block pattern (or click the button below).
- Find answers to frequently asked questions about Block Heads 3 here.
- Join the Moda Block Heads Facebook group here.
- And find all of my previous Block Heads 3 posts here.
Moda Block Heads 3 Designers
Be sure to visit all of the designer blogs after you drop by Betsy’s for your pattern. All of the designers have been posting either on their blogs or Instagram.
- Corey Yoder of Coriander Quilts
- Sherri McConnell of A Quilting Life (you’re here!)
- Betsy Chutchian
- Jan Patek of Jan Patek Quilts
- Brigitte Heitland of Zen Chic
- Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings
- Lissa Alexander
- Laurie Simpson of Minick & Simpson
- Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique
- Stacey Iest Hsu
- Robin Pickens
- Janet Clare
- Jen Kingwell
- Joanna Figueroa of Fig Tree & Company
Something Fun for This Week
Each week I’ll be sharing something fun in addition to the Block Heads 3 block. This week I’m sharing a fun round up post of Valentines projects that you can find here! Thank you so much for stopping by for this week’s Moda Block Heads 3 Block 3 post. Happy quilting!
Bear Creek Quilting Company says
Wonderful tips and tricks each week. Thank you Sherri!
Connie Taylor says
I’m not sure what’s going on for days I’ve been trying to get block 3 but it won’t ket me… please help