Hello and happy Friday, friends! I’m super excited to share my Block Heads 3 Block 18 alternate block with you today. It was hard not to be able to share it on Wednesday because I love it that much! I was actually inspired to make this block from Jan’s fun applique block she shared on Wednesday. I got a peek of her pattern a couple of weeks ago and immediately thought of this block. I’d been wanting to piece this for a little while, and seeing her block was all it took (as they say)!
Block Heads 3 Block 18 Alternate Block
I loved piecing my block for this week–Mini Lilies! It’s a block I’ve always loved and had so much fun putting it together. I pieced the 8″ block, and the pieces are small. They are even smaller if you are making the 6″ or 4″ version, so be sure to look at the tips and tricks below.
Block 18 Video
Watch the video above or on the YouTube channel in order to get a close up look at my alternate block for this week! I have a lot of fun filming the short videos each week. I feel like it’s so much more fun to see the blocks that way than in just a flat photograph!
Block 18 Tips and Tricks
- You will definitely want to use triangle paper for the half-square triangles when making the 4″, 6″, and even 8″ blocks. It really helps! You can use this triangle paper for the 8″ blocks and this triangle paper for the 12″ blocks. If you are making the 4″ or 6″ blocks the best bet is to get this pack which contains triangle paper in sizes for both of those blocks.
- The Mini Simple Folded Corners ruler really helps when making the stem sections.
- I have a tutorial for making the stem units here that you might find helpful if you haven’t made them before.
Block Heads 3 Links
- Go here or click the button below for my alternate Block 18.
- Find the Moda Block Heads Resource page here (get links to all of the previous blocks along with setting options and more).
- Visit the Moda Block Heads Facebook Group Page here.
- And find all of my previous Moda Block Heads 3 posts here.
I hope you have fun with this fun block! Happy quilting, and thanks so much for stopping by!
Sherri OMG I LOVE this block! I have an area in my bathroom that needs a mini quilt and this will be perfect. I have also never used triangle paper before so I am looking forward to trying something new. Good Job on designing the block and thank you!
The PDF will not open.
Thank you Sherri! This is beautiful!! The other block was a little much for me and this one will be perfect!
Lora Fulmer says
Good afternoon. I would love to buy some of the fabric you are using in your projects. How can I do that?
sherri McConnell says
I do have some pre-orders for Balboa in my shop. It will be shipping in September, and you’ll be able to find it available then.
I have tried several times to download this block without success, am I doing something wrong?
Gail Bousfield says
I am not able to download the pdf.
Thank you for the lovely lily flowers block
The extras, the information, instructions, the videos that you give are appreciated
Always learning with these new things to try.
Patricia Gose says
Thank you very much for such a cute alternate block. I am making two quilts in different sizes so this helps a lot with the two-color quilt!!
PDF will not open.
pdf will not open
Someone just gave be the cutout pieces for Vintage Dishes. Most of the plates are made but not the cups. The directions for the quilt are not included. Do you still have the pattern instructions available?
I made that little block 3x. 3x it came out to be a perfect 4 inch. My problem is that all our other 4 inch blocks measure 4.5 in unfinished. This little guy is off by .50 inches. Please help
sherri McConnell says
I’m not sure where your block is off. Note the measurements in the trim table give an unfinished and finished size. Be sure your half-square triangle units are 1″ x 1″ before sewing them together. That will give you a 4 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ unfinished (4″ finished) block.
Thank you. I will retry