Hello friends! I hope you’re safe and doing well at home. It’s always nice when another Wednesday rolls around and we can share and see so many fun blocks. Today I’m sharing Block Heads 3 Block 14 by the lovely Joanna Figueroa. I’ve known Joanna for so many years. I sewed sample quilts for her for about 10 years and have made many of her quilts in duplicate because I had to have my own after making the samples for her! She is a wonderful designer and person and is a lot of fun to visit with at market.
Block Heads 3 Block 14
We are now one-fourth of the way through our Block Heads journey! I love taking my photos each week and seeing how each new block adds to the mix in such a wonderful way. This week’s block by Joanna Figueroa was a lot of fun to piece and to put together. I know you’ll have fun with this week’s block.
Block 14 Video
I’m continuing with my Block Heads 3 video series. (Thank you so much for all of the wonderful comments on last week’s foundation paper piecing video). Watch this week’s video above to get my tips and tricks and for more details about block 14. (You can also watch this video along with my other videos on my YouTube channel).
Block 14 Fabrics
I loved using the large floral for some added interest in this block. And it was fun to also make this a pretty scrappy block by using different fabrics for each unit. The fabrics I used are all from our Summer Sweet collection and are listed below:
- Ivory Garden Song (this is the large floral…so good for borders, backings, and so much more)!
- Sky Chamomile (blue)
- Ivory and Charcoal Check
- Geranium Flora
- Sunshine Daisy Dot
Block 14 Tips and Tricks
Don’t be fooled…while this week’s block looks complicated, there are some useful methods you can use to make your block accurately.
- Make sure your half-square triangles are accurate. I used triangle paper to make mine. (Use ¾″ finished for the 6″ block, 1″ finished for the 8″ block, and 1 ½″ finished for the 12″ block).
- Handle the triangle pieces with care so as not to stretch the bias edges.
- Make sure your seam allowance is an accurate or slightly scant ¼″ so that everything fits together properly.
Block 14 Links
- Go here or click the button below to get this week’s block pattern PDF from Joanna Figueroa. (Remember that if you don’t find the pattern link you may have to wait until 8 a.m. CST).
- Find the Moda Block Heads 3 Resource Page with links to all of the previous patterns here.
- Visit the Moda Block Heads Facebook Group here.
- And find links to all of my previous Block Heads 3 posts here.
Moda Block Heads 3 Designers
Be sure to stop by and see what all of the Moda Block Heads 3 Designers are up to this week!
- Corey Yoder of Coriander Quilts
- Sherri McConnell of A Quilting Life (you’re here!)
- Betsy Chutchian
- Jan Patek of Jan Patek Quilts
- Brigitte Heitland of Zen Chic
- Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings
- Lissa Alexander
- Laurie Simpson of Minick & Simpson
- Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique
- Stacey Iest Hsu
- Robin Pickens
- Janet Clare
- Jen Kingwell
- Joanna Figueroa of Fig Tree & Company
Something Fun this Week…
On Monday I shared a tour of my new sewing space. If you missed it, you can see it here.
And be sure to check out the fabric section of my shop for some fun Summer Sweet bundles and Balboa scrap bundles here (while quantities last)!
Happy quilting and thanks so much for stopping by!
Kimberly Keappler says
I can’t find the pattern to print. Am I missing it? Thank you, KLK
cheri matyjaszek says
I cannot find the block
Sherri, can you write about your method for hanging your quilts in your sewing room? My youngest son has moved out into his own apartment and I now find myself with my very own sewing room! Sniff, sniff, sorry to see him go but excited to have my own space.(he is only 8 blocks away).It has been such fun painting and turning it into my own space and wonder how to hang my quilts so that I can change them out from time to time. Thanks!
sherri McConnell says
I’ll be posting about this soon!
Jacqueline Sweeney says
I have been trying to download Block 14 since Wednesday April 15, 2020, I cannot find the download, help please
sherri McConnell says
If you look right under the picture of the green windmill on Joanna’s blog post, you’ll see the click here for the block PDF. Click on the word here and it will take you to the pattern!