Hello friends! Today I’m sharing Moda Block Heads 3 Block 11, the Blooming Love block from Robin Pickens. I really had fun making this block and also used a dark background as Robin did. I have to say it’s one of my favorite blocks so far in this quilt along!
Moda Block Heads 3 Block 11
This week’s block looks complicated but is actually very simple to make. Be sure to read my Tips & Tricks section below for the methods I used for this week’s block.
Block 11 Fabrics
This week I used quite a scrappy mix of fabrics for my block, and I love how it turned out! The specific prints I used (all from Summer Sweet) are listed below:
- Charcoal Check (this is the dark background for my block)
- Petal Garden Song
- Petal Flora
- Sprout Daisy Dot
- And Sprout Flora
- Sprout Garden Song
- Ivory and Charcoal Check
- Geranium Check
- Geranium Bouquet
- Ivory Daisy Dot (the lightest print in my block–getting harder to find)
Block 11 Tips & Tricks
- I used the Mini Simple Folded Corners Ruler to make each of the eight stitch and flip units around the outer edges of the block. (When you use this ruler you follow the pattern cutting directions).
- Add ⅛″ to the squares to cut in section D and use this method to make the half-square triangles, then trim to the sizes listed in the pattern for the size block you are making.
Block 11 Links
- Go here or click the button below for this week’s pattern from Robin Pickens.
- Share your blocks on the Moda Block Heads Facebook Group here.
- New! Visit the Moda Block Heads 3 Archive Page here. (Links to all of the previous blocks).
- Find all of my Moda Block Heads 3 posts here.
Moda Block Heads 3 Designers
- Corey Yoder of Coriander Quilts
- Sherri McConnell of A Quilting Life (you’re here!)
- Betsy Chutchian
- Jan Patek of Jan Patek Quilts
- Brigitte Heitland of Zen Chic
- Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings
- Lissa Alexander
- Laurie Simpson of Minick & Simpson
- Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique
- Stacey Iest Hsu
- Robin Pickens
- Janet Clare
- Jen Kingwell
- Joanna Figueroa of Fig Tree & Company
Something Fun for This Week
I recently released a new quilt pattern (Carefree, a Fat Quarter Quilt pictured above). Get the details on this new quilt here. Thanks so much for sewing along with our Moda Block Heads 3 sew along! Happy quilting!