Hello, and happy Sunday! I have a series of gift guides I’ve been preparing for you all for the holidays, and in order to fit them all in with my regularly scheduled posts I’m adding them in my open spots over this week and next. I thought I’d start with my favorite things gift guide: books–specifically quilting books that are the favorites I reach for again and again…and some of my inspirational favorites as well. I’ve been able to do a lot of reading this fall, and have been so inspired by all of the great ideas out there! Enjoy, and I’ll be back with the next gift guide post next week.
Gift Guide: the Best Quilting Books
Quilter’s Reference Tool
If there is one quilting book I turn to again and again, its hands-down the Quilter’s Reference Tool. This book has charts that are so helpful when putting a quilt together. It’s small, lightweight, and portable enough to put in your purse or bag when heading out to your local quilt shop. And of course it’s perfect for researching things at home when working on your own projects.
Best Quilt Inspiration and Pattern Quilting Books
There are so many favorites…but I chose my Top 9 quilting Books from 2019 to share with you today. These are the books I love to look at for inspiring colors and patterns…and to read cover to cover. Read below to shop and to see why I love each one (Titles beginning with row one, left to right):
- On a Roll–so many great jelly roll quilts in this terrific compilation. There are quilts of all sizes perfect for your favorite jelly rolls or your jelly roll scraps!
- Blue & White Quilts–seriously the most inspirational book from this fall. Even if you never make a single quilt (and there are lots you’ll want to make), the photography and inspiration are incredible.
- Sunday Best Quilts–I hope it’s okay that I added my book in the list. I’m so happy with it and really feel like there are multiple quilts in here for everyone!
- Merry Makers–Christmas projects of all sizes by so many different Moda designers. There is still time to make many of the included projects to enjoy this season.
- Oh Scrap!–Seriously, one of my favorites ever. I loved reading this one cover to cover to get all of the tips and ideas from one of my favorite scrap quilt designers.
- Perfectly Pretty Patchwork–this one just arrived on my doorstep, and I love it! There are quilts and smaller projects that are absolutely inspiring. I’ll be sharing something I’ll be making from this book early next year.
- Pin Pals–the ultimate guide to pincushions. I recently made one from the book that I need to share with you as soon as I stuff it! More tips than you can imagine are found in the pages of this book.
- Quilt by Color–another favorite. I have a few quilts I can’t wait to make, but also, just looking through the pages is inspiring!
- Mix it Up!–last, but not least. I love half-square triangles and simple shapes and layer cakes and charm packs. This book has them all!
Best Inspiration Quilting Books
I’ve read so many inspirational books over the last couple of years. I’m truly grateful for the things I’ve learned and have been able to ponder because of them. Here are some of my favorites. Many of these are books I’ve given as gifts or am going to give this Christmas.
- Essentialism–probably my most favorite book for helping me focus on what is truly important in my life. I’ve read it twice!
- The One Thing–another terrific read with practical tips for making the most of your time and your life by focusing on the most important things.
- Free to Focus–just finished this one this week. I love all of the free downloads available as extras that have really helped me put things into focus.
- Atomic Habits–another recent finish. So good. With so many practical tips for making habits work in your life.
- Big Dreams, Daily Joys–another recent finish. This one was such a fun read…giving this one as a gift this season!
- Everything is Figureoutable–I love the author’s sassy style and easy to read dialogue. I learned so many things from this book as well!
- The Happiness Project–so good. A nice look at what makes us happy with practical suggestions for becoming the happy person you’d like to be.
- Girl, Wash Your Face and Girl, Stop Apologizing by Rachel Hollis–perfect for young women or not so young women in your life. I wish I’d been able to read these books in my twenties!
- Homebody–wisdom on all things home by my favorite home stylist, Joanna Gaines. I can’t say enough about this book!
- Little Farmstead Living–another favorite…a little bit of everything with home decor recipes, and thoughts on simple living.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this selection of the best quilting books. Be back soon with more of my favorites! Happy quilting, and thanks so much for stopping by!