Hello, and happy Thursday friends! Today I’m sharing the Quilting Life Block of the Month September 2020 blocks and pattern. Be sure to read through today’s post because I’m also sharing the fabric requirements for finishing your quilt. (I’ll release the December pattern early so that I can release the quilt finishing PDF early in December). If you’re also looking forward to the Labor of Love Quilt Along, I’ve got some information on that to share today as well.
Quilting Life Block of the Month September 2020
This month’s block has a little bit of everything: squares, rectangles, flying geese, and half-square triangles. You can also have a lot of fun with fabric and color selection with this block for a variety of different looks.
September Block Video
Watch this month’s block video above or go here to watch it on my YouTube Channel.
September Block Tips & Tricks
- For my small block I used Triangle paper and charm squares to make the half-square triangles. I made the half-square triangles for the 12″ block using my traditional method.
- I also used the Bloc Loc ruler for the flying geese in both the 6″ and 12″ finished blocks. Use this size for the 6″ block and this size for the 12″ block.
- I haven’t made my 18″ block yet, but will use the traditional methods for half-square triangle and flying geese construction.
- See today’s video to see the block backs for pressing information.
September Block Links
- Go here or click the button below for the September pattern.
- For the January through August patterns, go here to find links.
Block of the Month Finishing: Required Fabrics
I will be sharing a finishing pattern for the quilts using all three block sizes early in December. Here are fabric requirements for each size so you can gather fabrics now:
- For the 6″ block quilt you’ll need ¼ yard sashing, ⅛ yard or scraps for cornerstones, ¼ yard inner border, ½ yard outer border, ⅜ yard binding, and 1 ¼ yards backing.
- The 12″ block quilt requires ¾ yard sashing, ¼ yard or fat quarter for cornerstones, ½ yard inner border, 1 yard outer border, ⅝ yard binding, and 3 ½ yards backing.
- And the 18″ block quilt requires 1 ⅛ yard sashing, ¼ yard or fat quarter for cornerstones, ¾ yard inner border, 1 ¼ yard outer border, ¾ yard binding, and 6 yards backing.
Labor of Love Sew Along Details
Are you ready for my fall Labor of Love Sew Along? If you’re not sure what I’m talking about, this is a sew along I’m doing for a sampler quilt based on the 12 quilts and projects in my book, Labor of Love: Scrappy Quilts from the Heart of Home. You can find details (and fabric requirements) on this post. Get ready to sew because I’ll be beginning the sew along on Wednesday, September 30th! It looks like the Balboa fabrics will be shipping closer to the end of September, so hopefully everyone sewing along with those fabrics can have them in hand this way. I’m so excited about the sew along!
Happy quilting, and thanks so much for stopping by!