Hello and happy Wednesday! Today I’m sharing the next block in the Threadology Quilt Along, the economy quilt block pattern. The economy block is a basic block that is easy to make and offers different options. I loved making this week’s blocks!
I used five different fabrics from our Walkabout fabric collection for this week’s blocks. My background fabric is actually from our Clover Hollow group. You can see that these blocks have a simplicity to them–and yet they add a lot to any quilt or project.
The Fat Quarter Shop pattern calls for making the inner square and the outer triangles from the same fabric, but you could easily use an additional fabric for each block to make the blocks even more scrappy. There is only one more set of blocks to make for this quilt along, and then it will be time to set the blocks together. I can’t wait!
Tips for Sewing the Economy Quilt Block Pattern
- Be sure to cut the squares accurately and then also cut carefully when cutting the squares into triangles.
- Use a scant ¼″ seam allowance so your block ends up the correct size.
- Go here to download the Economy Block pattern for today’s blocks from the Fat Quarter Shop Jolly Jabber blog.
- For a fast and fun way to make similar Square in a Square quilt blocks from a Layer Cake, see this post!
The April Sew Sampler Quilt Box
Since I’m sharing this week’s Threadology quilt along blocks, I thought it would also be a good time to share the Fat Quarter Shop Sew Sampler April box. The April box is a birthday box celebrating four years of Sew Sampler boxes! And this month’s box does not disappoint. The April box includes:
- A Petite Pinkerville Design Roll with 18 different 2 ½″ x width of fabric strips of the beautiful bright Pinkerville collection.
- Next is a 4.5″ square ruler with a pink tint and a non-slip backing in the shape of a unicorn. The small size is perfect for squaring up smaller blocks and working with charm squares and jelly roll strips.
- 4″ Mini Duckbill Scissors perfect for applique.
- Quilter’s Tips–a new-to-me notion that looks helpful. There are six plastic fingertips included for using to hold fabrics securely while binding or machine quilting.
- An exclusive Confetti Star Quilt Pattern
- Block 1 pattern of the new Goodness Grows quilt along (quilt kits for this quilt along are available here).
- A terrific coupon book with coupons that can be used over the next few months.
As you can see, the box is a good one!
Hope your week is a great one so far. Happy quilting, and thanks so much for stopping by!