Hello, friends! Today I’m sharing the A Quilting Life Quilt Block of the Month for May 2021. My block of the month patterns are shared each month on the first Thursday (regardless of the date), so today’s the day! (Last month the first Thursday was also the first of the month, so it posted a little earlier. Thank you to everyone for your patience this month).
Quilt Block of the Month: May 2021
2021 Block of the Month Quilt Details
- First, this is a mystery block of the month. (No full-size pictures yet).
- The quilt is a sampler with 12 different unique pieced blocks. No applique’ or paper piecing required.
- Patterns release monthly on the first Thursday of the month here on the blog.
- Each month, a step-by-step video tutorial sharing how to make that month’s block will be featured. Watch the video here on the blog or on the YouTube channel here.
- Get the Fabric Requirements for the finishing of the quilt in a few months. For blocks, I suggest 12-15 fat quarters for the large blocks (fat eighths will work for the small blocks). You’ll also need 2-½ yards of background for the larger blocks and 1-½ yards of background for the smaller blocks.
- Find links to all of the previous posts in this year’s BOM here.
May 2021 Block Details
- I used triangle paper for both my 12″ finished block and my 6″ finished block. This variety package has the sizes needed for both blocks.
- You can get more information on block construction from today’s video.
- Download the May 2021 Block Pattern PDF here, or click the button below.
May Block Video
Watch this month’s block video above, or go here to watch it on my YouTube channel. I share my block construction process, tips, tricks, and helpful ideas for this month’s blocks in both sizes on the video.
More Block of the Month (and Happy Days) Information
- Kits for this month’s block shipped on Tuesday, May 4th.
- The latest I’ve heard on Happy Days fabric pre-cuts is that they will begin shipping May 17-21. I’ll be sure to update you here if I hear any different. I know it’s been really frustrating with all of the fabric delays.
- One more block, and we’ll be half-way finished…yay!
Thanks so much for sewing along with the A Quilting Life Quilt Block of the Month: May 2021.
Jackie Lohrey says
I LOVE the Christmas version! Looks like I’ll be making the 2021 BOM twice 🙂 Also, yesterday’s post was such a step back in time for me. I had just said bye-bye to my last darling child and taken over his room for myself and was knee-deep in organizing. This time I am knee-deep in rearranging and reorganizing because the room I thought was so big at the time has seemingly shrunk. Your timing was perfect 🙂 Love and Hugs!
Mary Louise says
I really look forward to the new block every month. Because it is one block per month, I have been doing two blocks every month- one with Primitive Gatherings Needle and Thread Gatherings and one with Sweetwater The Christmas Card. It has been fun and I feel like I am improving my skills a great deal, especially doing the two blocks. I can’t wait to see the finished quilt! Thanks Sherri for all the “tips and tricks’ you share.
I’m really enjoying this block of the month, so far all of the blocks have been new to me. Thanks for the detailed instructions, my scrappy version is looking good!
Deb Keller says
I am really enjoying this BOM! I am making two versions – the 12″ blocks using the Balboa fabric collection, and the 6″ blocks using the Christmas Figs collection, making 2 of each, opposing the red and green in each block. I am an advanced-intermediate quilter, so find the blocks fun and doable, although the tiny HSTs give me a little struggle! Thanks so much for this opportunity!
Hi there! I’m a new sew sampler subscriber with the FQ shop and I am thrilled you designed the quilt for the next year! I think you mentioned you’ll be doing a tutorial for each block. When will those start posting? Thanks! ❤️
Sharon Starr says
This is a beautiful block! Can’t wait to get started on it but will need to wait on the triangle paper. The Primitive Gatherings Variety Pack mentioned here has sizes up to 1 1/2 in HST but the pattern calls for unfinished size of 2 in HSTs. Do I need to get triangle paper that has the 2 in size HSTs?
Thanks for the video which is so helpful!
Lisa Walters says
Hi sweet lady! I am loving this BOM and have found enough FQs at my local quilt shop to do the blocks. All caught up and ready for this new block. I have a question: how do I know what size triangle paper to use when a block says 2” unfinished, 4 1/2” unfinished? Also, what size piece of fabric yields what size HST? Does 2-5” blocks make 2 4 1/2” triangles? I don’t know why I’m so confused on this but it’s just not something I can figure out. Help!
Thanks so much.
I am loving these blocks. I haven’t seen a post listing the required fabrics for the finishing. Did I miss that?
sherri McConnell says
Hoping to post that next month 🙂
cheri maytjaszek says
LOVE THE BTHIS WEEKASKETS, I WILL BE BEHIND. I HAD HAND SURGERY THIS WEEK, NO SEWING UNTILL THE END OF JULY.
Frances Anderson says
I’m working on the May block and I think the cutting instructions should say I-L instead of B-E or are the cutting requirements left out for IJKL?
On this May block, the instruction say to cut B at 2 inches square. Now I am sewing together the 12 inch block and B is too small to join to my HST. What have I don’t wrong? Help?
sherri McConnell says
The hst should be trimmed to measure 2″ before sewing it to the square.