Hello, friends, and happy Wednesday! Today I’m sharing Moda Blockheads 4 Block 21 + Bonus Blocks 6 & 7 which I just finished up this week. This week’s block is shared by Moda designer Janet Clare and features simple foundation paper piecing for the top and bottom units of the block. In addition, I have tips and tricks for all three blocks and all of the pattern links you need!
Moda Blockheads 4 Block 21 + Bonus Blocks
Block 21 Tips & Tricks
Moda Blockheads 4 Block 21 uses foundation paper piecing for the top and bottom units. The instructions on the pattern are wonderful as written, but I do have a couple of suggestions.
- First, go here to download the Block 21 PDF or click the button below.
- I’ve found that saving a PDF and then printing makes the foundation paper units print accurately.
- Be sure to trim the background fabrics as shown in the diagram.
- I folded all of the lines on the paper before I started sewing to make it easier to fold during the block construction.
- Lower your stitch length to 1.7 to make it easier to remove the papers
- Use the Mini Simple Folded Corners Ruler for the middle section of the block.
Bonus Blocks 6 & 7
Our friends at Moda recently shared two fun bonus blocks for the sew along. Block 6 is called Step to It and features a multi-framed nine patch block. I loved using different greens and greys for my larger version and different reds and blues for my small block. Cut accurately, and sew with a ¼″ seam to make this block go together easily. I used strip piecing for the center nine-patch instead of sewing with squares for that part of the blocks. As always, there are more shading options for this block available on the PDF pattern page. Get the PDF pattern for Bonus Block 6 here or click the button below.
Bonus Block 7 is called Star Turn and features flying geese units and half square triangles. I actually used some hst’s for the center of both blocks that I had in my stash and just had to make the flying geese units. There are also a few fun shading options for block 7 that will give you even more ideas for fabric placement. This one goes together easily–just be sure your pieces are cut correctly and your ¼″ seam is accurate. You might also want to size up the squares for the hst’s by ⅛″ to give yourself the ability to trim the hst’s to the correct size. Get the PDF pattern for Bonus Block 7 here or click the button below.
Moda Blockheads 4 Sew Along Information
- Read the Moda Blockheads 4 Introductory post here.
- Get the Moda Blockheads 4 Basic Methods Resources Sheet PDF here.
- Find all of the previous Moda Blockheads 4 block information in the Blockheads 4 Archive here.
- Join the Moda Blockheads Facebook group. In the group you can share your blocks and get inspired by the other Blockheads participants.
- And find all of my previous Moda Blockheads 4 posts here.
Next Week’s Block
I’m happy to share that next week’s block will be my contribution to the sew along, and I’ll have some other fun things to share then. Thanks so much for stopping by for Moda Blockheads 4 Block 21.