Hello, friends! Today I’m sharing Moda Block Heads 3 Block 56 which is the final block release pattern for the wonderful Block Heads 3 quilt along. I’m excited to share today’s block along with more pictures of my finished quilt, but I’m also a bit bittersweet that our quilt along has come to an end. It’s a good thing I have some other fun quilt alongs coming up soon so I can’t be too sad (more on those at the end of the post).
Block 56 Details
This week’s Star Dance block was designed by Joanna Figueroa and is a lovely group of stars with beautiful secondary patterns. I used a mix of fabrics for my blocks–combining fabrics primarily from our Happy Days and Balboa collections. This block does have a lot of little pieces, so here are a few tips as you’re piecing your block:
- First, you might consider starching your fabrics before cutting.
- Cut carefully as the pieces are small (especially in the smaller versions).
- I’m making the 8″ block and used this Bloc Loc Flying Geese Ruler for my flying geese sections. The Bloc Loc really helps improve accuracy when piecing tiny units.
- Also find the Bloc Loc Flying Geese ruler for 4″ finished block here; and Bloc Loc for 6″ finished block here. I couldn’t find a Bloc Loc for the size needed for the 12″ block.
- Finally, be sure to press frequently. And press seams open where needed so you can reduce bulk.
Block 56 Links
- Get this week’s PDF pattern here (or click the button below). Remember you may have to wait until 8 a.m. CST in order to download the pattern.
- Visit the Moda Block Heads 3 Resource Page here. This page has links to all of the blocks, fabric requirements, and setting options.
- Then, join in on the fun (and weekly giveaways from now through the end of the Sew Along) in the Moda Block Heads Facebook Group here.
- And find all of my previous Moda Block Heads 3 posts here.
My Quilt Finishing Details
- I used a simple straight setting with 8 rows of 7 blocks each for my quilt.
- And I used 1 ½″ x 8 ½″ (cut) sashing strips between my blocks (the low-volume print I used is from our Walkabout collection a few years ago).
- I used 1 ½″ x 1 ½″ squares for sashing posts–these are scrappy and primarily from our Happy Days collection.
- I added a 1 ½″ finished (2″ cut) inner border from the same print as the sashing.
- And I added a 4 ½″ (4″ finished) outer border using the large floral on Citrine from our Happy Days collection.
- And for the binding I used the diagonal stripe in soft coral from Happy Days.
Moda Block Heads 3 Designers
Below find links to the other Moda Block Heads 3 designers. Be sure to stop by and see what they are up to this week.
- Corey Yoder of Coriander Quilts
- Sherri McConnell of A Quilting Life (you’re here!)
- Betsy Chutchian
- Jan Patek of Jan Patek Quilts
- Brigitte Heitland of Zen Chic
- Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings
- Lissa Alexander
- Laurie Simpson of Minick & Simpson
- Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique
- Stacey Iest Hsu
- Robin Pickens
- Janet Clare
- Jen Kingwell
- Joanna Figueroa of Fig Tree & Company
This Week’s Giveaway + More
Be sure to visit the Moda Block Heads Facebook Group to enter to win a Layer Cake of the Fig & Shirtings collection. And…if you missed it, there is also a giveaway going on here now for a quilt kit for my Nine-Patch Square Dance quilt featured in the April 2021 issue of American Patchwork & Quilting. Get all of the giveaway details here.
And…if you’re looking for another quilt along…there will also be a quilt along beginning February 22nd for the Nine-Patch Square Dance quilt above. I’ll be sure to update you on that when the time gets closer. Additionally, I’ll be sharing a quilt along for the Beach House Row quilt when the Happy Days fabric ships in March.
Happy quilting, and thanks so much for stopping by!