Hello and happy Wednesday, friends! What a busy week it’s been for me already…I’ve been to the eye doctor and the dentist and have had my hair done! It almost felt a little normal (minus all the mask-wearing). But today is Moda Block Heads day, and this week I’m sharing Block Heads 3 Block 26 which is a half-square triangle block brought to us by Janet Clare.
Block Heads 3 Block 26
This week’s block is a little different than most. Read on, or watch the video to learn about the term “expand-a-block” which was new to me! I absolutely fell in love with this week’s block after making it.
Block 26 Video
Watch this week’s block video above, or go here to watch it on my YouTube channel.
Block 26 Tips and Tricks
As I discuss in the video, this week’s block is different than most because the block units are not larger when making the larger sizes of blocks…regardless of which size block you make, the hst units are the same size.
- The smaller the block, the fewer half-square triangles you’ll need to make. So if you’re adding a variety of block sizes to your quilt, this is one where you might want to make the 4″ or 6″ block!
- Half-square triangle paper will be your friend for this block! I used this triangle paper (decided to start carrying it my shop I love it so much) so I could use charm squares. But this triangle paper will also work.
- If you’re making your block scrappy, check fabric placement when you lay out the half-square triangles.
- Use chain piecing (watch my YouTube video tutorial for a demonstration) to keep everything in order as you sew.
Block 26 Links
- Go here or click the button below for this week’s block PDF pattern (available after 8 a.m. CST).
- Visit the fabulous Moda Resources Page for links to the previous blocks and more.
- Go here to join the Moda Block Heads Facebook Group.
- And find all of my previous posts in this series here.
Moda Block Heads 3 Designers
- Corey Yoder of Coriander Quilts
- Sherri McConnell of A Quilting Life (you’re here!)
- Betsy Chutchian
- Jan Patek of Jan Patek Quilts
- Brigitte Heitland of Zen Chic
- Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings
- Lissa Alexander
- Laurie Simpson of Minick & Simpson
- Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique
- Stacey Iest Hsu
- Robin Pickens
- Janet Clare
- Jen Kingwell
- Joanna Figueroa of Fig Tree & Company
I hope you enjoyed this week’s block: Block Heads 3 block 26. Happy quilting, and thanks so much for stopping by!