Hello everyone and happy Block Heads Wednesday. I hope you are staying well and safe in your part of our world. Today I’m super excited to be sharing my second block in our quilt along, Block Heads 3 Block 16, Dream! This week’s block is a fast and fun half-square triangle block that has lots of options for you as far as color placement goes!
Block Heads 3 Block 16
Since we’ve been able to share our upcoming Balboa fabric collection since I shared my first block, I’ve used Balboa fabrics for all of the units in my block. I took the opportunity to use a large floral print on cream for the background fabric of my large half-square triangles (I’m making the 8″ blocks). It added such a fun touch. I also made the smaller half-square triangles from seven different fabrics (truth be told I already had those hst’s left over from previous projects–I love saving time)! You have lots of options with this block…you can use fewer fabrics than I did or even more…it’s your block!
Block 16 Video
Watch the short video above for a quick preview of this week’s block and construction techniques. Or watch it on my YouTube channel here.
Block 16 Tips & Tricks
Pattern instructions for this week’s block have you cutting squares into triangles to make your half-square triangle units. But I always prefer to begin with squares when making half-square triangle units. Cut your pieces the sizes listed in the pattern, but use this method for your half-square triangles. Or…use the following sizes of triangle paper. Just check the finished sizes on page two of the pattern for the size block you’re making (a real time-saver especially if you are making all of the small hst’s from the same fabric. And you’ll definitely want to use triangle paper for the smaller block sizes).
- 1″ finished triangle papers
- 1 ½″ finished triangle papers
- 2″ finished triangle papers
- 3″ finished triangle papers
- 4″ finished triangle papers
- 6″ finished triangle papers
Block 16 Links
- Find this week’s block pattern PDF here or click the button below.
- Visit the Moda Block Heads 3 Resource page here (for previous block patterns and quilt layout suggestions).
- Join the Moda Block Heads Facebook group here.
- Find all of my previous Moda Block Heads 3 posts here.
Moda Block Heads 3 Designers
Be sure to visit our Moda Block Heads 3 Designers for their tips and tricks for this week’s block!
- Corey Yoder of Coriander Quilts
- Sherri McConnell of A Quilting Life (you’re here!)
- Betsy Chutchian
- Jan Patek of Jan Patek Quilts
- Brigitte Heitland of Zen Chic
- Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings
- Lissa Alexander
- Laurie Simpson of Minick & Simpson
- Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique
- Stacey Iest Hsu
- Robin Pickens
- Janet Clare
- Jen Kingwell
- Joanna Figueroa of Fig Tree & Company
Fun Things this Week…
Earlier this week on the blog I wrote about How to Hang Small Quilts (find this post here) and gave Tips on Small Space Sewing (post here)! I hope you’ve enjoyed today’s post on Moda Block Heads 3 Block 16. Thanks so much for stopping by, and happy quilting!
Gretchen Gantner says
I so appreciate your having designed a block that doesn’t take all day to construct. Thank you for an easy one!
Thanks Sherri for a great block and the additional instructions!!
Kristi Castanette says
Thank you for the cute block this week. I also love all of your blocks together, featuring Balboa fabrics. I can’t wait for them to make an appearance in the Fall.
I would like to join your quilt along – block a month? how can I sign up? is it to late? please email me at