Hello friends, and happy Wednesday! Today I’m sharing Moda Block Heads 3 Block 15 which is a beautiful star block by the lovely and oh-so-talented Corey Yoder. I did make just a couple of changes in block construction from the pattern, and I have a video and some photos below to show you the changes I made.
Block Heads 3 Block 15
I loved this week’s block and enjoyed making another block with using our Balboa fabric collection. It was especially fun to use the multi-colored sun print for the background.
Block 15 Video
I did make a few changes to this week’s block which I detail in the video above (or see it on my YouTube channel here) and also in the photos below. The changes I made make it easier to have accuracy while using fewer triangles in your piecing.
Block 15 Tips & Tricks
Use my tips below for ease in construction and block accuracy:
- First, make the center section using the pattern directions (Cut A (background suns) and F (background suns) as directed; however, cut just one E (coral) square to be cut twice diagonally).
- Don’t cut any B squares, C, or D squares as directed.
- In place of the B, C, D, and extra E squares cut the pieces listed below. The first size is for the 4″ block with 6″, 8″, and 12″ sizes following in parenthesis.
- Cut (4) squares 2 ½″ x 2 ½″ (3″ x 3″), (3 ½″ x 3 ½″), (4 ½″ x 4 ½″) for B/D sections (aqua print in my block).
- Cut (2) squares 2 ½″ x 2 ½″ (3″ x 3″), (3 ½″ x 3 ½″), (4 ½″ x 4 ½″) for C sections (multi-colored sun print in my block).
- And cut (2) squares 2 ½″ x 2 ½″, (3″ x 3″), (3 ½″ x 3 ½″), (4 ½″ x 4 ½″) for outer E sections (coral in my block).
Block Construction Steps
- Make (4) coral/aqua hsts using (2) coral squares and (2) aqua squares. Press to one side and do not trim.
- Make (4) aqua background hsts using (2) aqua squares and (2) background squares. Press to the dark and do not trim.
- Make (8) identical quarter-square triangles using this method and one of each type of hst. Trim to measure the same size as your A squares.
Block 15 Links
- Go here or click the button below to get this week’s pattern from Corey Yoder (remember patterns may not be available until 8 a.m. CST).
- Find the Moda Block Heads 3 Resource page here (with links to previous patterns and setting options).
- Visit the Moda Block Heads Facebook Group here.
- Find all of my previous Moda Block Heads 3 posts here.
Moda Block Heads 3 Designers
Be sure to visit all of the other Moda Block Heads 3 designers this week to catch up with their progress and get their tips and tricks!
- Corey Yoder of Coriander Quilts
- Sherri McConnell of A Quilting Life (you’re here!)
- Betsy Chutchian
- Jan Patek of Jan Patek Quilts
- Brigitte Heitland of Zen Chic
- Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings
- Lissa Alexander
- Laurie Simpson of Minick & Simpson
- Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique
- Stacey Iest Hsu
- Robin Pickens
- Janet Clare
- Jen Kingwell
- Joanna Figueroa of Fig Tree & Company
Just a Few More Things…
Earlier this week I released a new video talking about all things Works in Progress…you can watch it and read my Best Tips for Works in Progress post here.
I hope you’re enjoying Moda Block Heads and that you’ll have fun piecing Block Heads 3 Block 15. Tomorrow I’m sharing a new Balboa quilt…can’t wait! And very soon I’ll be sharing another Balboa quilt that I finished up last evening! Happy quilting, and thanks so much for stopping by.