Hello and happy 2019…and happy first Block Heads 2 Wednesday of the new year! I actually made this week’s Moda Block Heads 2 Block 38 block right after Christmas but didn’t get the photos taken until yesterday. This week’s block is called “Anchor Point” and is by Lisa Bongean. And as I’ve been saying every week–“I really love this block!”
For this week’s block I used fabrics from four of our fabric collections. The dot fabric around the edges is from Desert Bloom with the large yellow floral from Clover Hollow. The blue floral, green floral, and center floral are all from Walkabout, and the taupe print is from our Valley collection.
This week’s “Anchor Point” block finishes at 12″ x 12″. The center star is pretty tiny and was really fun to piece. And I have a few tips below for block construction. Since the tiny center star is bordered with rectangles matching the second star, it is a little easier to keep things evened up.
Tips for Moda Block Heads 2 Block 38
- Make sure you have a nice contrast between all of the fabrics in the block.
- Use spray starch or Best Press and iron fabrics before cutting the pieces.
- Making sure the small center star is the correct size will help with overall block construction.
- I used the Bloc Loc .75″ x 1.5″ Finished Flying Geese Ruler to make the small flying geese.
- I used the Bloc Loc 2″ x 4″ Finished Flying Geese Ruler to make the remaining flying geese.
- Sew with the flying geese units on top so you can make sure not to cut off the points.
Moda Block Heads 2 Block 38 Links
- Go here to download this week’s block, “Anchor Point” by Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings.
- Visit the Moda Block Heads 2 Landing Page here where you can access all of the previous block patterns.
- Go here to visit the Moda Block Heads Facebook Group page.
- And you can find all of my previous Moda Block Heads 2 posts here.
Find the other Moda Block Heads 2 Designers Here:
- Lynne Hagmeir of Kansas Troubles
- Barbara Groves of Me & My Sister Designs
- Carrie Nelson of Moda Fabrics
- Brigitte Heitland of Zen Chich
- Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique
- Betsy Chutchian
- Stacey Iest Hsu
- Jan Patek
- Laurie Simpson of Minick & Simpson
- Jo Morton
- Sherri McConnell of A Quilting Life (you are here)
- Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings
- Corey Yoder of Coriander Quilts
Happy sewing this week’s Moda Block Heads 2 Block 38. And thanks so much for stopping by!