One of my favorite quilt blocks is the Log Cabin block. I don’t think I’ve ever met a version I didn’t truly love. And of course what is beautiful in a big block quilt is always even cuter in miniature. So I fell in love with the Mini Log Cabin Quilt Block from the moment I saw it. It helps that I have a fast and fun method to make these darling blocks, too. And I’ve filmed a video to walk you through this method step-by-step.
How to Make a Mini Log Cabin Block
Mini Log Cabin Block Video
Watch the Mini Log Cabin quilt block tutorial above, or go here to watch it on my YouTube channel here.
Tips for Mini Log Cabin Quilt Blocks
- Decide on a color scheme before you begin–completely scrappy? Two colors? One background? Or possibly many scrappy backgrounds? There are lots of choices, so it helps to have a few things decided on in the beginning.
- Cut strips for lights and darks before you begin sewing. This makes it easy to make several blocks at one, chain piecing sections for each round to save time (and thread).
- Make at least one test block before you begin working on multiple blocks–just to make sure you like the feel of the blocks.
- Get my PDF with the strip sizes I cut for my mini Log Cabin blocks here. (Or click the button below).
- And find the Creative Grids Mini Log Cabin Ruler here. You can also find it here on Amazon.
Project Ideas for Mini Log Cabin Blocks
Here are some of my ideas for using these fun blocks:
- Mini Quilts
- Table Runners & Table Toppers
- Wall Hangings
- Lap quilts
- Large Quilts–for a long-term project
- Christmas Stockings
I hope you enjoy today’s video and give this fun little block a try. Using the Creative Grids ruler enables a quick and accurate construction. I just need to warn you that once you try one of the blocks, you will probably need to choose a project as you’ll be making more before you know it!
Happy quilting, and thanks so much for stopping by!
Maureen Raymond says
Thank you for sharing your UTUBE on how Tito use the Creative Grids Log Cabin Ruler.
I what brand thread do you like?
Colleen Ross says
Love your tutorial on mini log cabin rulers. I’ve always wanted to do smaller blocks. Now I’ll try it. Previously made 12 in, no ruler and bias was way off wavy , terrible. Also I’m doing your block of month. Love your quilts and you tube tutorial helps. Thanks.