I did get to do a little quilting done this weekend…well, actually, I did a lot, but some of it I can’t share just yet. But I worked on a couple of my own projects, too. All of those flying geese…they are now part of my “Whit” quilt. And now I just need to hand stitch the binding for the finish.
Originally I planned to use the aqua scallop from Miss Kate for the binding, but after taking a picture for Instagram (you can follow me there @sherrimcconnell) I realized that the aqua was just too light. My quilt needed something bolder because of the red and navy fabrics and the grey contrast background.
So I very carefully pulled out the navy scallop strip from my jelly roll of Miss Kate to try out my theory. I was instantly in love with the navy! I love how photographs can really illuminate hits and misses with fabric choices! A friend happened to be stopping by the fabric store and picked up some more of the navy scallop for me. I just need to remember to cut a strip and put it with the jelly roll!
After trying out the Log Cabin ruler on my Bee blocks the other day I was anxious to start a project I’ve had in mind for a little while: a scrap bin log cabin quilt.
I’m going to try and spend a little time going through the scraps this weekend to separate the bits and pieces that are big enough for these blocks. Then I plan to have two separate containers to pull from as I piece the blocks: the low volume and backgrounds in one and the brights in another. And, because there have been so many requests, I’ll prepare a tutorial on how to use the ruler.
Thanks so much for stopping by!