The hardest part (as usual) was choosing fabric...in the end I decided
on some Fig Tree fabrics to go along with my "Sew Together" bag.
I have Strawberry Fields, Avalon, Somerset, and Aloha Girl fabrics in my stack...I love how they work together!
One of the first steps is to quilt your outer fabric piece. I used a wavy stitch, but the tutorial calls for a straight stitch so you can hide a couple of the stitching lines near the end of construction.
I cut out all of my pieces and was ready to go! The tutorial (find it here) was really great with good photos and explanations. I really didn't change anything except to cut my binding strips at 2 1/4" instead of the 2 1/2" suggested. I really do like a narrower binding, especially on smaller projects like this. I think I would even be happy with a 2" binding for this little project.
When you unfold the kit you have room for binding clips, a couple of spools of Aurifil thread, scissors, and needles. And you have a pocket on the right which works for candy, small patterns or templates, or anything else you might need in your binding kit!
Vanessa's method for installing the zipper is simple, and the binding clip section really is quite roomy. I like to use a lot of clips and was pleased that this pocket holds so many.
I really recommend this project if you're looking for a stylish way to store binding supplies!
For more information, visit the Fat Quarter Shop blog which has more photos and a link to a video tutorial for sewing along!
Thanks so much for stopping by!