Tuesday, October 28, 2008
On Saturday I had a plan: DH was going to be at work, younger daughter was taking the ACT, younger son was on a twenty-five mile bike ride through the Valley of Fire...I was going to start some new projects and sew, sew, sew! One look at my sewing room, though, and I knew I had to clean first. What I thought might take an hour ended up taking nearly six, and with the amount of unfinished projects I found, I told myself that I couldn't start anything new until I finished up some of the things I found while cleaning. First up was this darling table-runner. I had purchased the fabrics which came with a free pattern at a shop hop three or four years ago. I usually don't buy panels, but this fabric had a panel with three reproduction vintage Christmas handkerchiefs that I fell in love with (oops, I should have ironed them before the picture)! I especially love the little Santa near the chimney. With the coordinating fabrics I only needed to piece four snowflake star blocks, and then I was ready to put it together.
This went together especially easy because I used my "Angler." My quilting friends either love or hate this little tool. I happen to love it...it eliminates the need to draw diagonal lines on the back of fabrics when making "flying geese" or "snowflake" blocks. I keep my angler and some painter's tape right next to my machine and then attach it whenever needed.
While cleaning I also realized that when I made all of those table runners a while back I hadn't made the bindings nor gathered backs for them. I took some time to catch up on my bindings...and now the bindings jar is full, not another one will fit; I'd better get busy sewing some on!
Oh, and I also found this reversible apron that I started at the Ruby's Inn retreat nearly two years ago. It was finished except for the top-stitching, so I sat right down and finished it! It's reversible, and you can see that I messed up on the blue/green side and ended up with my blues on one side and the greens on the other. I like the version on the left better. It was a great way to use some of these fun Amy Butler prints. You should have seen the variety at the retreat...there were Christmas versions, Halloween versions, and reproduction versions. It takes 4 coordinating fat quarters for each side and makes up in just a couple of hours.
This week I'll start the new projects...my sewing room is clean, and I'm feeling great since I've put a few more unfinished projects onto the finished pile!