Happy Saturday! I hope your week has been a good one…mine was super busy, so I’m definitely looking forward to the weekend!
Right after Christmas I pieced this fun wall-hanging for Fat Quarter Shop from
the “Canning Season” pattern by Lori Holt and the Farm Girl collection by October Afternoon. It was a fast and fun quilt to piece, and Fat Quarter Shop has it available as a kit here.
It’s always fun to get quilts back that have been gone for a little while!
Since this week was so busy I didn’t get a lot of quilting done, but I did make it a priority to catch up on my Bee Blocks.
First up was this “Books for Baby” block for my Mid-Century Modern Bee. While I’m not a huge fan of paper piecing, this block ended up being so cute that I might even consider making it again! While looking through my novelty prints to find fabrics for this block I realized I have a lot of fun fabrics I need to put into a fun novelty print quilt, so that got added to my list for this year.
The book block pattern comes from Patchwork, Please!: Colorful Zakka Projects to Stitch and Give written by Ayumi Takahashi. I love all of Ayumi’s projects and was excited to make one of the projects from her book.
I think participating in a Bee is good not only for all the fun of making blocks for many different people but also for the projects you get to make that you might not otherwise have worked on!
I also got my January Bees Knees block finished up for April. April had us make 12″ string blocks which go together surprisingly fast. By the time I was finished with this block I was thinking how fast it would be to make a charity quilt with string blocks this big! I had a lot of fun using the scraps April sent which are from her fabric collections for Moda!
And…I finished up my February Bees Knees block for Tamara! Her block was fun, too. Actually you could put any favorite block in the middle of some log cabin strips and have a super fun quilt!
Finally…a tip for you. I can’t claim this as my own idea…but I have heard it a few times and never really got around to trying it until just recently. If you measure the big batting scraps you save and label them it makes it so much easier to find pieces to use when you know you have a piece big enough somewhere…
I just started doing this recently, and it’s already been a ton of help. You can see that on one of my pieces I used a small piece and then just crossed out my label to reflect the new size. Easy…and it’s been such a time-saver for me. I wish I had started doing this years ago!
Have a wonderful weekend! Thanks so much for stopping by!