Hello, friends! Happy first of April! And since the first of this month is on a Thursday, I’m sharing the April 2021 Quilt Block of the Month. This month’s block is a fun flying geese variation. Using a contrast fabric for half of the units creates a fun pinwheel unit in the center. I love my 12″ and my 6″ finished blocks. Keep reading for details, tips and tricks, this month’s video, and more.
April 2021 Quilt Block of the Month
2021 Quilt Block of the Month Details
Below you’ll find links to all of the basic information about this free block of the month (it’s not too late to join in). Keep reading for the specific information for this month’s block. Also, find additional information about the Happy Days fabrics at the end of this post.
- First, this is a mystery block of the month. (No full-size pictures yet).
- The quilt is a sampler with 12 different unique pieced blocks. No applique’ or paper piecing required.
- Patterns release monthly on the first Thursday of the month here on the blog.
- Each month, a step-by-step video tutorial sharing how to make that month’s block will be featured. Watch the video here on the blog or on the YouTube channel here.
- Get the Fabric Requirements for the finishing of the quilt in a few months. For blocks, I suggest 12-15 fat quarters for the large blocks (fat eighths will work for the small blocks). You’ll also need 2-½ yards of background for the larger blocks and 1-½ yards of background for the smaller blocks.
- Go here to get the January Block pattern PDF.
- And go here to get the February Block pattern PDF and block details.
- Download the March Block Pattern PDF here.
April Block Details
- Download the April Block Pattern PDF here (or click the button below).
- Get the Bloc Loc Flying Geese ruler for the 6″ block here. And get the Bloc Loc Flying Geese Ruler for the 12″ block here.
- And find the Sewline pencil I used in the video here.
April Block Video
Watch the March Block Video above, or go here to watch it on my YouTube channel. In the video I share tips for putting this month’s block together and walk you step by step through the assembly process.
More Block of the Month Information
Find additional information below if you’re sewing along with the Happy Days fabric kits.
- Most kits shipped on Monday, March 29th. USPS is being quite slow still, though.
- Kit fabrics might be just a little different than what is pictured in my block but include background, an aqua print for the four contrast flying geese, and four additional prints for the remaining flying geese.
- Finally, the Happy Days fabric yardage should be shipping very soon, and then extra fabrics, backings, kits, and finishing kits will be available for purchase. Unfortunately, the pre-cuts are now shipping in May. So any kit or order with a pre-cut will not ship until those fabrics have arrived. Thank you so much for your patience.
Happy quilting, and thanks so much for stopping by!
Sherri – have a question on your sewing preference- when you sew on the second “goose wing” do you prefer to begin sewing at the top (where the first seem is) or from the bottom of the wing?
Jackie Lohrey says
Gwen you were reading my mind when you asked this!
Kenda Jones says
Thank you for your wonderful videos each month – I am fairly new quilter and need lots of help! My question involves the rulers. I have been using my “Simple Folded Corners” ruler to trim off the portion before sewing the flying geese. i know it if primarily made for half square triangles – what are your thoughts about using this ruler? I try to keep myself on a budget Thanks for your help.
sherri McConnell says
Yes, it absolutely works for flying geese, too! And thank you so much for your kind comment 🙂
Jackie Lohrey says
Sometimes I hate when I see a photo that takes my mind off in whole different direction. I have enough projects either started or planned to last me the rest of the year BUT the minute I saw the red/green blocks I thought wouldn’t those make an absolutely delightful Christmas tree skirt?
Your BOM has been a great skill-building program for me. And this one is perfect because I have been thinking I need to try flying geese, but don’t have a project in mind. Plus it’s such a cute block.
Christi Burks says
Will the finishing fabric requirements be out soon? I’m worried the beautiful fabric will be sold out before I have the requirements. ?
sherri McConnell says
Yes, and I will have a couple of options available as well 🙂