Being away from my sewing machine for a few days is likely to put me in the mood to sew very long hours! Yesterday I had planned on just spending some time sashing the on-point blocks, but then one thing led to another and before I knew it the Christmas version Farmer's Wife quilt top was finished...and it was midnight!
I am really pleased with how it turned out. I initially planned this quilt to be quite a bit smaller, but I'm happy it's a terrific twin-sized quilt (it's pictured here on a full-size bed).
I really didn't have to play around very long with block placement--I just tried to make sure the blocks with a heavy emphasis on one color or another were spaced well.
And I love the border fabric. I bought 4 yards of this poinsetta print at a 40% off sale last fall, planning to use it for the backing. I used 1 1/8 yards for my border and will use the rest for a pieced back.
Initially I was going to use the setting in the book for my Fig Tree version, but now I'm definitely going to use this setting for a couple of reasons: first, I love the increased size you can get with this version. Using the Farmer's Wife book setting all 111 blocks will just make a queen-sized quilt. With this setting I'll be able to have a king-sized quilt without making any additional blocks. Second, I love the open spaces with this setting. Since I'm planning to have my Fig Tree version custom-quilted, the open spaces will allow for the quilter to work some magic in those areas. I'm just going to do an all-over design on this one and plan on using it a lot this winter! And finally, the ease of putting this together was wonderful. Because all of the blocks are sashed and then trimmed, it was super simple to put together. This is an especially good setting if some of your blocks don't measure out to a perfect 6 1/2" unfinished.
Here are the details for this quilt:
- Pattern for blocks: The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt: Letters from 1920s Farm Wives and the 111 Blocks They Inspired
- Fabrics: Flurry by Kate Spain for Moda and Moda Bella Bleached White 9900-97
- Number of blocks: 56 (just about half of the patterns in the book)
- Finished Size before quilting: 72 x 80 1/2"
- 2" cut inner border (Moda Bella Bleached White)
- 5" cut outer border (Joy poinsetta print)
- Straight set blocks sashed with 2 1/2" strips, trimmed to 9"
- On-point set blocks sashed with triangles cut from 5 1/2" squares cut on the diagonal once (I can't take credit for the sashing instructions...info. found here and here and here).
Thanks so much for stopping by!