Finishing the blocks for my Farmer’s Wife quilt
might have has turned into an obsession. I have so many things I want to be sewing, but I can’t seem to stop making these blocks! I want to finish! I’ve made 11 blocks since Saturday! First up (and these are the last 4 I finished) is a group of blocks made in Strawberry Fields fabrics.
This is block 24, Country Path. I loved making this block, and even though I used mostly templates it wasn’t too hard to put together.
Block 104, Wild Geese was also fairly simple even with a lot of template cutting. This is another favorite.
Block 65, Peaceful Hours. This block is far from perfect, but I just don’t think I want to re-do it. I’m happy with the colors and contrast!
Block 37 Flower Pot. A cute block. This block has “y” seams. On some of these template blocks I think there should have been some more instructions…
Here are a few I made using fabrics from California Girl. These 3 blocks were all made with templates, too. Although I’ve saved most of the template-required blocks for the end, many weren’t too bad, especially the ones with fairly large pieces (I guess the term large is relative considering these are 6-inch blocks)!
This is block 97, Waste Not. This one was simple…just 12 pieces!
And here is block 66, Periwinkle. This one was pretty simple, too. I should have realized early on that some of the template blocks would actually go a lot faster than blocks with jillions of pieces!
Block 83, Spider Web is a great block. I wish I had used a couple more fabrics in this one, though…I think it could have been a lot cuter!
Here is the last group…these are all made with the latest Fig Tree line, Tapestry.
Block 13, Buckwheat…not one of my favorites, but not too time-consuming, either.
Block 17, Cats & MIce was another one I wish I had used a few more fabrics in. This one turned out okay, but it could have been really fun with every block a different color.
Block 33, Farmer’s Puzzle, turned out to be one of my favorites. By the time I made this one I was resigned to the fact that I’m using templates from here on out. I actually started to realize the aspects of template sewing that aren’t too bad (kind of).
Block 47, Homemaker, is one that had me a little frustrated. Although there are some instructions given, I just felt like there could have been even more information that would have made putting this block together a lot easier. My block isn’t perfect, but since it’s flat and I have ¼″ left on the outside of all the points, I’m not about to make this one again!
And last, but not least, thanks so much for noticing that when I first posted this block I had one of the smaller pieces turned the wrong way. Without so many of you pointing it out, I probably wouldn’t have noticed until it was in the quilt and quilted…so thank you!
I have just 4 blocks left…I’m hoping that 2 of them will go together without too much difficulty, but I have to say I’m a little worried about the 2 I’m going to do last…lots of tiny templates!
If you’ve followed along this far…thanks so much. Really, I don’t think I could have stuck with this without so much encouragement! I’ll finish up the last 4 as soon as I can and then try to get a photo of all 111!
Have a wonderful day!