Tuesday, July 28, 2015
Happy Tuesday! I have a friend who is having twins soon...she is 32 weeks along and has been getting her nursery ready for the soon-to-arrive baby boys. So I knew I'd better get busy and finish up the baby quilts I promised to make her!
I used the blues and light colored prints from Bright Sun along with two Bella solids...a creamy mint and Admiral Blue. The combination was a lot of fun to work with!
My friend wanted a herringbone pattern for the baby quilts, and so I searched a few tutorials and ended up doing a variation of this tutorial. I did do a couple of things differently from Rachel's instructions. I placed my strips in the same way to sew them together (sewing strips in pairs and then off-setting them by 1 1/2" before sewing each set together).
I didn't use her method for trimming though, I simply used the 60 degree marks on my long ruler to cut the segments. I made three blocks for each baby quilt. One of the blocks I cut in half to use for the two upper block sections in each quilt. I joined the upper and lower block sections with 4 1/2" wide sashing strips of the mint fabric.
I then joined the upper and lower sections with 5" strips of the mint Bella. I added a 10" wide top border of the mint and then two different 5" wide bottom borders: one mint and one from the Bright Sun polka dot fabric. The final result was a perfect (I hope) crib sized quilt...times two!
The Admiral Blue bindings set them off perfectly. This is my first time sewing for twins...it was really fun to think of two little babies getting to enjoy these quilts!
And before I go...a sneak peek of what I'm trying to finish up next...
Thanks so much for stopping by!
♥ Posted by Sherri at 3:30:00 AM